Author Topic: List of modern Chinese coin distributors  (Read 2351 times)

Offline badon

List of modern Chinese coin distributors
« on: 2013 Jul 09, 10:13:51 PM »
Do we have a list in the CC of all of the distributors for modern Chinese coins? Here's one more for the list, if/when we have it: Re: MCC LIST #179 - Goldfish, pandas, book, charts, rarity, NGC, cheap, slowdown,, reply #501.

Offline Jeru

Re: List of modern Chinese coin distributors
« Reply #1 on: 2013 Jul 10, 12:00:11 AM »
I don't understand the distributor part.  Sorry.
"...but the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: 2013 Jul 10, 01:35:04 AM »
Here is some more information:

* Re: MCC LIST #179 - Goldfish, pandas, book, charts, rarity, NGC, cheap, slowdown,, reply #376.

"Distributors" are major dealers that take their inventory directly from the mint or another official distributor. For example, the distributor in the USA is PandaAmerica. The reverse of the 1990 goldfish coins say the name of another distributor, and "China Gold Coin" or "CGC" comes to mind from memory. In Germany, the big distributor is MDM, and the COA's from MDM are scanned and uploaded under the historical figures coins.

The relationships between these companies is not well understood because we don't have a list anywhere of all of them that have come and gone over the years. We can start keeping a list of them, and linking to the evidence we have for their existence, like one of the reverse photos of the 1990 goldfish, and the MDM COA's.

Also, I seem to remember someone telling me that there was a strange distributor relationship between the company that was selling the 2011/2012 9 sons of the dragon set, and the Shanghai mint that produced them. That company should go on the list for further research as more info becomes available.

We have a lot of random facts that we need to collect in one place so we can figure out how it all fits together.

Offline Jeru

« Reply #3 on: 2013 Jul 10, 10:55:58 PM »
Also, I seem to remember someone telling me that there was a strange distributor relationship between the company that was selling the 2011/2012 9 sons of the dragon set, and the Shanghai mint that produced them. That company should go on the list for further research as more info becomes available.
Do you mean this, 2011 brass sons of dragon, 上海造币有限公司精品网?

Okay.  So there is China Gold Coin Inc., PandaAmerica, Money Company of the World Inc., China Coin Limited - from the reverse of 1990 goldfish, MDM... do they need to have a group type under CCT405: Modern Chinese coins 1979 to today and under that group type are subtypes for each distributors?  Or just another section/content, as in section 1.7, in CCT405 will do for now?

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: 2013 Jul 14, 02:37:46 PM »
Just add another section to CCT405. Those are companies, not coin types, so no new types should be made for them yet. If we discover that some coin types can be classified in association with distributors, then we could make the distributor types then. For now, we don't have enough information to do that, so just make a list.

You can arrange the list with "sublists" that show some of the coins we know are associated with the distributors, like the 1990 goldfish. It would look like this in wiki code:

* China Coins Limited
** 1990 goldfish
** Some other coin from CCL
* MDM
** Some other coin from MDM

Offline badon

« Reply #5 on: 2013 Jul 14, 03:11:35 PM »
Do you mean this, 2011 brass sons of dragon, 上海造币有限公司精品网?

Yes, that's the one. It says "Shanghai Shenquan Industry and Trade" on their website, and Firefox Quick Translator says 上海造币有限公司精品网 means "Shanghai Mint Co., Ltd. boutique network". They look to me like a private business that commissioned the Shanghai Mint to produce the 9 sons sets. Technically, that would make them the distributor for those coins. They might be a good example of a distributor that's associated with a few specific coins.

Offline Jeru

« Reply #6 on: 2013 Jul 15, 01:58:15 AM »
Here's what I did, CCT405: Modern Chinese coins 1979 to today, is it right?

Does fwang2450's reply here, MCC LIST #179 - Goldfish, pandas, book, charts, rarity, NGC, cheap, slowdown, means Money Company of the World Inc. is the distributor of CCT1157: 1988 1 oz gold panda Hong Kong expo?  Or of all the Hong Kong panda expo coin, CCT935: Hong Kong expo panda?  Because, I think, the COA in China 1991 Gold Silver 2 Coin Bimetal Panda Hong Kong Expo Set NGC PF 69UC | eBay said China Gold Coin Inc. is the distributor of CCT583: 1991 1/4 oz gold 1/8 oz silver bimetallic panda Hong Kong expo 2 coin set.  That's why I added CCT583 under China Gold Coin Inc. in the Distributors list I made in CCT405.