Author Topic: 1980? CATTE (Traditional Technology) set compared to known Feng Yunming 1979 set  (Read 1497 times)

Offline pandamonium

This is a rare set.     First one i have seen on ebay.   1980?  CATTE stands for China Ancient Traditional Technology Exhibition.     I was told this is a Feng Yunming set and probably the rarest.    It is aluminum but the first photo look gilt.     Probably just the light.    About 2 yrs ago i posted about the  set of aluminum Feng type non-fiat coins i found on ebay.   Two of those are the third and fourth photo.     I recognized this set and was shocked no one bid on it.   $42 w/ shipping.   Both aluminum sets were from Canadian sellers, the first had only 5 of the 6 non-fiat coins and no box.
Know how to determine if it is real Chinese?    Notice the spelling of "Traditional".    Yup, real Chinese.   
Have emailed these photos to other dealers in Canada and only one return reply of "we have no clue what those are".   
I paid seller immediately after the auction ended so the seller waited 8 days to put them in the mail, today.     No tracking number now either as he sent it cheap.   That means 1 month from Canada to me.    Seller has 10 negative ratings.     I just want the set in my hands.   
Very rare Feng set and one worth looking for before the market discovers it and prices rise.    Be on the look out for this rare set.....

Edit by badon: medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2017 Jan 04, 05:26:57 PM by badon »

The following users thanked this post: saybia

Offline pandamonium

Photo of Feng's Archaeological 12 silver set.    Notice several are the same as the aluminum.......
(Also i thought the 1980 36 mm silver Shou Xing Longevity by Chen Jian was a rare one.   This set maybe rarer!)  ...maybe.....

The following users thanked this post: saybia

Offline badon

Offline saybia

Thats a nice set!  Thanks for showing it. 

Offline pandamonium

Saybia, if you ever see this set or individual aluminum non-fiat coins on ebay then use these photos as a reference and buy them!      There are still quite a few undiscovered rarities out there w/ huge upsides so it is worth the effort to find them.......

Edit by badon: medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2017 Jan 05, 03:34:34 PM by badon »

Offline saybia

Thanks.  Will do. 

Offline pandamonium

I got the set today and left positive feedback for the seller.     The photos on ebay made the 6 medal CATTE set look gilt because they are NOT aluminum like the previous 5 i have.      These must be brass as far as i can tell.    The edges are sharp and the reverse is very well detailed too.    This is another set that sat in a safe for 30 plus years.    The box is in very good shape and two edges have some fiber/thread that i will trim.    The top has a crease.     Medals have a slight cloudiness on obverse but not reverse or CATTE side.    Interior of box is new too.   
Now i am totally stumped.    I thought these were aluminum until they showed up.    Now we have a brass set too.    Still no information on these CATTE medals.    Need to take more photos, etc......

Offline saybia

Interesting.  I would like to see the new photos.