Author Topic: Christmas present came in this morning: Chen Jian's 1980 silver God of Longevity  (Read 3221 times)

Offline pandamonium

Christmas present came in this morning.    Compared it to my 1980 PF 65 36 mm Shou Xing Longevity silver by Chen Jian.    65 is NGC 4216986-017         Both are under 1 1/2 inches.   
1980 36 mm = 1.417 inches        1987 40 mm = 1.675 inches or over 1 1/2 inches....
The OMP has same details, very well struck silver for 1980.    The OMP seems a bit frosty.    Maybe the 65 was conserved?.....
NGC has total pop of 4 or 5?     One surviving pop estimate is maybe 100.    Another says maybe 50 or less but it could be 25 or less....
VIP non-fiat coin and rarely seen in the West or Asia.    Photos are from ebay.....
It was listed under "China Silver Coin" w/ ebay search is over 8,000 items.   Just popped up on a search.   Only 4 bidders.   Was almost holding my breath until the end of the auction, did not sleep much.    Gorgeous silver non-fiat coin and one of my favorite MCC.....
Any estimate to value?    Hope to keep it.....

Edit by badon: Linkify, images, medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2016 Dec 23, 04:33:22 PM by badon »

The following users thanked this post: badon, Y7ASyxC

Offline barsenault

Bravo Pandamonium.  You deserve it.  You are always on the hunt, and found a beauty!!

P.S.  I'll buy it from you for $300.00. :-)))
MORE INEXPENSIVE NON-FIAT COINS HERE: http://tinyurl.com/zzgbyfm

Offline badon

This is an incredible score! Great Job pandamonium! Seriously, it is one of the most incredible scores I have ever seen. You are amazing. You see? People always underestimate you. You are the most badass alpha dog collector on the planet, haha. Everyone else wishes they could be like you, at the exact same moment that they dismiss you as unimportant. They don't understand, and that's why it's you that gets coins like this, not them.

This is such a fantastic prize, and if anyone deserves something like this, it's you. Absolutely it's you. You are amazing, awesome, smart, savvy, patient, hard-working, giving, generous, humble, and a whole lot of other fine adjectives. The coin is a museum masterpiece. I paid a small fortune for mine, but with all your talent, you totally showed me who's boss! WOW! Everyone else just talks the talk, but you're the one that really knows what's going on. UNBELIEVABLE!

Offline pandamonium

I got lucky on this one.     A lot of daily searches helped.    A Chinese opinion:  he has seen one 1980 in 10 years.     Maybe the 25 or less surviving pop is correct......       

Offline barsenault

What about these pieces.  Mintage 15.  The top version is the normal antique version, the bottom is the rare piece, only 15 minted in the entire world.  Should be worth a couple mil someday yes? 

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline barsenault

What about these suckers?  Maybe less than 8 of these survive in the entire world of billions.  What?  Maybe 4 mil someday?  Read'm and weep. LMAO.

Offline badon

So how do I get my hands on one of them?

Offline barsenault

Impossible.  They're in the 'Chinese Smithsonian.'  ;D;D I had to pay a fortune for mine.  I don't think we'll ever see these come on the market, unfortunately.  That Shou is definitely a beauty, and kudos to Pandamonium.  But what about those P&D and God of Wealth pieces, Wowza! :-)).  Maybe not worth a fortune today, but give it a few years. Maybe Andy and I will have a party in our penthouse sweet (intentional word) when they hit the millions, and we'll invite the CCF members to party with us.  ;D

Offline badon

The antiquing job on the Nanjing God of Fortune set is very nice. They got some blue colors on one of them. Wow! It's the dragon and phoenix I would like to get the most, but the God of Fortune set might be the most beautiful one.

Offline barsenault

Yes indeed my friend.  Yes indeed. They are both very nice and very hard to find.  Maybe one day they will show their face on eBay?  I don't know.  If they do, know they are rare. :-)) I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

Offline trouble

Only less than 3 in the world. What so call rare lol.

Those are prototypes. Someone just want to keep quite than showing to whole world.

Offline barsenault

give me, give me, give me, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese. LOL.

Offline barsenault

Keep the rare pieces coming...yes, yes.  Very nice.  Let's all drool.

Offline barsenault

Here is one with only 10 in existence.

Offline Jens

Congratulations Pandamonium, very nice catch.
And good luck to you barsenault, if you find a seller for 300 tell me who it is perhaps i can also buy something from him :p

Edit by badon: Jens is referring to this post, which has been split to its own topic: Buying 2014/2015 Copper/Brass Antique Nanjing Panda set.
« Last Edit: 2016 Dec 22, 11:00:39 PM by badon »
"You have to choose (as a voter) between trusting to the natural stability of gold and the natural stability of the honesty and intelligence of the members of the Government.
And, with due respect for these gentlemen, I advise you, as long as the Capitalist system lasts, to vote for gold."   - George Bernard Shaw -

Offline badon

Offline badon

Offline pandamonium

I was told the box in Chinese states "China Mint Company, Shanghai Mint"....

The other rare posted here are valuable but the most money will be thrown at the early year & popular.      I did not post the ebay number this time.    When i got the Feng Archaeological set, the seller received lots of negative emails from upset collectors/dealers.    The demand for rare, early year could turn into a scrum (like in Rugby).      Rare, new issue will see demand and high prices in time.    Rare, early year will outpace demand and price in the long run.    This Shou Xing could be one of the most highly sought after early year, silver VIP non-fiat coins.    As the market matures, prices will go to 5 figures quickly, w/ potential to go a lot higher.   

Badon has many posts about the Shou Xing on LBC.   Maybe he can transfer some over here.    Maybe a photo of the 1987 40 mm  VS  1980 36 mm would be a good comparison.     NGC still has not returned a answer for the 36 mm vs 40 mm debate.     One Chinese opinion is that there is a difference.   

There are still unknown Chinese steals out there, fewer by the day.    Even new collectors can find them if they put in the time/effort and are willing to take a chance......

Edit by badon: medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2016 Dec 23, 02:01:24 PM by badon »

Offline pandamonium

I was asked how much i paid.    Sold my 2000 MS 69 Frosty silver panda for $235 to pay for it is all i will say.    There are still steals but fewer by the day as Chinese have caught the attention of collectors/dealers........   One party said it is worth a minimum of $3,000 but that sounds very cheap to me......

Offline badon

If it earns a 69 grade, I think it would sell for around $2500, probably to a buyer in China. Your specimen looks as nice as dragonzeng168's (new, ending, sold) NGC 70, with smooth surfaces characteristic of an early strike. If yours earned a 70, you could name your price. I'm guessing it would be worth around $4000 to $5000, but none have ever been sold before. Last I checked, dragonzeng168's 70 was the only one known.

Offline badon

Badon has many posts about the Shou Xing on LBC.   Maybe he can transfer some over here.    Maybe a photo of the 1987 40 mm  VS  1980 36 mm would be a good comparison.     NGC still has not returned a answer for the 36 mm vs 40 mm debate.     One Chinese opinion is that there is a difference.   

I still have not seen photos of a different diameter of Chen Jian's 1980 God of Longevity. All of them look the same to me. If I remember correctly, this question was started because of a labeling error at NGC, where they put the wrong diameter on the label for one of the coins.

Offline pandamonium

That PF 70 is awesome.    He was asking $18,888 then upped it to $28,888 if i remember correctly.   It is posted on LBC.    Clark Smith sold a PF 69 for about $2,500 but that was 2 yrs ago.      NGC once had a 70, (2) 69 & a 65 total pop of 4.     Depending on what NGC says about the 36 mm vs 40 mm, will help determine future price.      They are still second year MCC and one of best silver non-fiat coins to collect.     It would not take much to get the price of the Shou Xing Longevity Chen Jian to jump..........

Edit by badon: medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2016 Dec 23, 04:56:57 PM by badon »

Offline pandamonium

badon, thanks for adding that last ebay photo.    I managed to save it from your site but not ebay. 
Another top collector/dealer contacted me and says there is a difference in size.   The 1980 is considered the small one and very rare.   So far two have made that comment, will email you their names.....

Offline badon

That PF 70 is awesome.    He was asking $18,888 then upped it to $28,888 if i remember correctly.   It is posted on LBC.    Clark Smith sold a PF 69 for about $2,500 but that was 2 yrs ago.      NGC once had a 70, (2) 69 & a 65 total pop of 4.     Depending on what NGC says about the 36 mm vs 40 mm, will help determine future price.      They are still second year MCC and one of best silver non-fiat coins to collect.     It would not take much to get the price of the Shou Xing Longevity Chen Jian to jump..........

There are lots of other coins that have a similar design, but they're not the same design. They're completely different coins. I'm not sure if Chen Jian's design is his original design, or if it's merely his version of a common historical design. Either way, Chen Jian's design has been influential, and other artists do occasionally try to emulate it to some degree.

The prices on dragonzeng168's (new, ending, sold) coin is not an accurate reflection of its true value. He is just showing off the coin on ebay, and he has no intention of actually selling it, at any price. The reason he increased the price was because I warned him that someone might actually buy it if they thought his lower $18'888 price was not too crazy. Chinese collectors LOVE Chen Jian's God of Longevity design, and many of them have spent a lot more money on stupider things.

The great Nick Brown used to put coins on ebay just for show, but people started buying them and he was forced to deliver them. Prices went up very fast, and he had some of the best coins in the world at the time. Prices never went down again while he was alive, so he was never able to get the coins back after they sold.

Although I usually call the 1979 to 2004/2009 period the "golden age" of modern Chinese coins (MCC) from the People's Republic of China (PRC), the fact is there are not very many impressive coins from 1979. The first "wow coin" that became famous even among the mint's artists themselves was probably Chen Jian's 1980 God of Longevity. The only other famous coins I can think of that are older and exceptionally notable are the 1979 UN  Year of the Child (YotC) piedfort version in silver. If I remember correctly, the mintage is 30, but I don't remember if there is a gold piedfort too. As nice as that coin is, it was minted for foreigners, and it commemorates an event for foreigners too.

Maybe Chen Jian's 1980 silver God of Longevity Shou Xing is the first famous precious metal coin of the PRC that is also distinctly Chinese. There are a few others that are famous, especially the hand engraved ones, but the first precious metal hand engraved coins were not minted until 1984, when the ancient pagoda temple and goldfish sets were made. As time goes by, it's entirely possible for Chen Jian's 1980 silver God of Longevity to become more famous (popular), with increasing recognition for various reasons or even no reason.

One thing is certain, Chen Jian's 1980 silver God of Longevity has a very strong grip on the hearts and minds of China's top coin collectors. There are several coins with similar surviving populations of around 100 specimens, but it's entirely possible for the low population to translate directly into monster prices for Chen Jian's 1980 silver God of Longevity. If any coin can do it, that one can. Years from now we might laugh about our value estimates in the low thousands of dollars. In the USA coin market, a popular coin with a surviving population of around 100 specimens can easily sell for 5 figures, and some might be able to reach 6 figures without much difficulty.

It will be very exciting to watch all of this play out.