Author Topic: New Nanjing 2016 panda and Temple of Heaven pagoda design proposals  (Read 2424 times)

Offline barsenault

Keep in mind this is a 'crude' drawing over a round circle.  But both sides should be high relief. 

This will be bimetallic - brass and copper.  They will be packaged with the 5g silver foil notes.  5 foil notes purchased, you get 1 bimetallic coin.  Buy 10 foil notes, you get 2 bimetallic coin.

Mintage TBD, but I believe it will be 199 on these.  Brass and silver will come a little later.  And those who purchase the bimetallic will be entitled to be first in line for the brass and silver. 

Have a great day.  Better pictures should be coming from my partner in the days to come.  I'll post pricing in a bit. 

MORE INEXPENSIVE NON-FIAT COINS HERE: http://tinyurl.com/zzgbyfm

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline badon

This is a good marketing strategy to prevent a lot of the highest mintage versions going unsold. Giving priority for the rare coins to the people who bought the common ones makes good business sense, and from the buyer point of view, they feel like they're getting loyalty rewards or special treatment that shows appreciation for them being a true collector building complete sets. In contrast, the investors tend to hoard the rarest coins and ignore everything else.

With the Nanjing 2014 pandas, I wasn't very interested in them for investment purposes, but when I learned about the die rotation varieties, that excited my treasure-hunting collector imagination, and I had to have them. I kept buying them until I found the die rotation varieties. As a result of my treasure hunt for 2014 Nanjing pandas, I am now a collector of the Nanjing panda series...BEFORE they exploded in popularity. After everyone realized the Nanjing mint has never made pandas before, the 2014's started to become difficult to buy, especially the silver ones.

Fortunately the Nanjing pandas have been turned into a series, and new 2016 pandas are available at reasonable prices, even on the secondary market. No one is being greedy, and as far as I know, there has been little or no "hoarding". We talk a lot on this forum about how hoarding can screw over an investor who doesn't realize hoarding both reduces the size of the established collector base (ECB), AND reduces liquidity compared to a diversified collection.

Doing "bundling deals" with the "barsenault fork" of the Nanjing panda series is a great way to steer people away from the liquidity trap they might build for themselves if they attempted to hoard the rarest coins. Very often, the highest percentage profits are in the cheaper coins! This marketing strategy is going to make the buyers a lot happier, whether they realize it yet or not.

Offline badon

Putting the Temple of Heaven pagoda on the reverse is an absolute coup of marketing, because it associates this panda design with the main series of fiat pandas that has used the same pagoda design since their introduction in 1982. This development makes the Nanjing 2014 and 2016 pandas all the more interesting because they will be recognized as the only official flagship pandas that DO NOT have the Temple of Heaven pagoda on the reverse! WOW! This is a lot like the 1982 gold pandas that are the only non-fiat pandas in the fiat panda series. This is an amazingly potent draw for collectors, because none of this was planned. It all just happened by accident.

Offline badon

Question: Will these be dated 2016, or will we have to wait for them until 2017?

Offline badon

Offline badon

Offline badon

I just studied the designs a little more, and it looks to me like the style the artist chose for the design is intended to make it function as a high-relief and deep-dish design. Is that correct? I attached some examples of deep dish designs so you can see the resemblance to the design proposals for the new Nanjing pandas. Look at the wide rims they have, with a shadow/reflection around them, and the piedfort thicknesses. I'm convinced this new panda will be a deep dish design! It's going to be gorgeous.

It's not the first deep dish panda though. I think one of the Moon Festival pandas is deep dish too. It looks like it's the 2016 2 oz silver panda Moon Festival, just judging by the photos in this topic:

2016 panda Moon festival becomes a series, and they are selling quick

Offline barsenault

This will be a 2016 issue.  It should be minted and in our hands by end of Dec.  It will have a mintage of 199 (bimetallic).  Brass will be mintage of 99.  Silver is yet to be decided (most certainly under 199).  Stainless dies are completed and done.  Should have the prototype on or before early Nov.  The first in line for the brass and silver will be those who ordered the foil notes.  Again, please don't judge by the picture above.  It is just a very preliminary picture.  I've been told that both sides will be high relief. 

Offline badon

Stainless dies? Why stainless? I've never heard of stainless dies being used for coins. I would love to hear more details about that.

Offline badon

The first in line for the brass and silver will be those who ordered the foil notes.

Is it too late to order the foil notes to get ahead of the crowd? Are they available on ebay?

Offline badon

I changed the title of this topic to make it more descriptive and easier to find in the future. The original title was:

New Nanjing Panda and Temple - (new series)

Offline badon

Offline numistacker

I assume these are new purchases of foil notes not existing owners of foil notes?

Are the bi-metallic coins free of charge with 5 notes at the regular price?

Offline sgcoins

I is a shame that we have to buy the foil notes to get this non-fiat coin, if i'm really honest I don't like silver notes.(but I love panda non-fiat coins and coins) Hope we can buy this non-fiat coin without the notes aswell.

Edit by badon: medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2016 Oct 18, 01:11:45 PM by badon »

Offline Y7ASyxC

I is a shame that we have to buy the foil notes to get this non-fiat coin, if i'm really honest I don't like silver notes.(but I love panda non-fiat coins and coins) Hope we can buy this non-fiat coin without the notes aswell.

I'm still undecided on the notes. I have the original Panda notes, sold in 10-packs by Andy. I also have one CGCI 2016 China Spring Festival 20g Silver Colour Note with COA, sold by lavendersh7. That one had a strike error, for which lavendersh7 kindly refunded me.

One downside to the notes is you can't really store them separately from their OMP, without getting some special containers.. Also of course, premiums of silver spot are high.

On the upside though, the big surface area allows for very intricate artwork, the 20 grams even allows for some depth, but ofcourse, it never allows for the depth of a 60 gram coin.

to sum, i'm also not especially excited by them atm.

Edit by badon: Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: 2016 Oct 18, 01:12:08 PM by badon »
  • never argue with idiots

Offline trouble

I am sure they will sell it without the foil note as when the non-fiat coin release.

I notice their pre-sell price always 5-25 per piece lower than release price. Monkey Lunar and Rooster Lunar 2 oz proof silver are the example.

Edit by badon: medal = non-fiat coin.
« Last Edit: 2016 Oct 21, 06:54:09 PM by badon »

Offline barsenault

Indeed we will offer the coin without the foil note, if there are any left.  As you know, with only 199 mintage for this bimetallic piece, it is sure to sell quickly.  I know 65 pieces already went to the Asian market.  And between Andy and I, we've sold a big chunk already in the pre-sale. 

I'll be able to share more details of availability in the days to come.  I'm still recovering from the hurricane.  Wasn't pretty, and have limited access to wifi. 

Have a great day and weekend everyone.

Offline barsenault

Keep in mind the 1st is the Bimetallic (199).  Followed by Brass (99 pieces), and silver (???), and Antique Silver (???).  Should be a beauty.  Nanjing has been producing some amazing works of art.  I'm already sold out of the stash that was allocated to me.  My partner has sold a big chunk too. 

Offline badon

I'm still undecided on the notes. I have the original Panda notes, sold in 10-packs by Andy. I also have one CGCI 2016 China Spring Festival 20g Silver Colour Note with COA, sold by lavendersh7. That one had a strike error, for which lavendersh7 kindly refunded me.

One downside to the notes is you can't really store them separately from their OMP, without getting some special containers.. Also of course, premiums of silver spot are high.

On the upside though, the big surface area allows for very intricate artwork, the 20 grams even allows for some depth, but ofcourse, it never allows for the depth of a 60 gram coin.

You RETURNED a STRIKE ERROR? That was probably valuable! Did you get photos of it before you returned it?

Offline badon

You RETURNED a STRIKE ERROR? That was probably valuable! Did you get photos of it before you returned it?

Mentioned:

Re: Am I too picky about my coins? Return 2016 ANA Anaheim panda NGC 70 with a spot?

Offline trouble

Keep in mind the 1st is the Bimetallic (199).  Followed by Brass (99 pieces), and silver (???), and Antique Silver (???).  Should be a beauty.  Nanjing has been producing some amazing works of art.  I'm already sold out of the stash that was allocated to me.  My partner has sold a big chunk too. 

I read silverstacker forum stated the silver version at 168 which is lower than Nanjing 2016 panda sponsor by lucky at 199 mintage. Lucky sponsor Nanjing panda 2016 silver has up to USD230 and above and still go strong.

I saw the guide price of Barsenault sponsor Nanjing bimetallic panda series silver panda at 186 if silver spot at 18. Person who pre order bimetallic panda get lower price. Damn the offer shall be here too.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-78874-2016-nanjing-mint-panda-temple-of-heaven-bimetalicbrasssilver.html

This bimetallic Nanjing panda is resemble the 2017 panda bullion coin. They say is same designer. wow I will predict the price of the silver 168 mintage lower than lucky will get better price gain and higher price than 2016 Nanjing panda and market capital as always used by Badon recently.

Very exciting to follow the trend.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

So Lucky's current pricing strategy is a game changer! :)

Offline trouble

I view lucky pro tend to sell low to clean up his stock and risk. However, Barsenault side does demand higher price BUT stock sound like fast gone and seldom offer in ebay at all.

Offline numistacker

I view lucky pro tend to sell low to clean up his stock and risk. However, Barsenault side does demand higher price BUT stock sound like fast gone and seldom offer in ebay at all.

Is one approach better than the other? Andy's stick probably lasts longer but Lucky creates more interest and frenzy. I buy from both the things I like and which have potential.

Offline trouble

Is one approach better than the other? Andy's stick probably lasts longer but Lucky creates more interest and frenzy. I buy from both the things I like and which have potential.

I view both are good and have different target segments and their customers.

As long as it is not extreme cases and pricing like lucky pro vs Dragon Zheng.