Author Topic: Glass coin capsules, QR codes on NGC/PCGS slabs, crypto slabs?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Y7ASyxC

Well, i've often wondered, at least for expensive premium coins, would it not be possible to manufacture true glass capsules, from high tech glass like they use in cellphone screens etc? In my mind this would give a much cleaner view of the coin.. Plastic is just plastic.

Also regarding NGC / PCGS slabs, i think it's about time they would include QR codes linked to their registry, so you could just scan the slab with your phone and pull up the entry.

Taken it even further, i'd like to see high tech crypto slabs linked via QR codes and other means to a immutable, distributed blockchain where the entries could be recorded in a way that would ensure the data cannot be tampered with.

Is it time for the mints and the grading companies to start some product development to keep up with the times, seems to be so quiet on that front to me..
Or maybe we can expect a new Asian/Chinese based grading company to show up, providing real competition for PCGS/NGC in the future? Thoughts?
  • never argue with idiots

Offline Y7ASyxC

Re: Glass coin capsules, QR codes on NGC/PCGS slabs, crypto slabs?
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Oct 12, 01:13:37 AM »
Taken even further, and related to badon's posts regarding coinmarketcaps:

Market capitalization: A new way for investors to compare, analyze, and predict coin prices

I'm dreaming of a system where you could trade coins online in realtime just like cryptocoin trading today:

If you would have a company, just like the traditional gold and silver bullion warehouses, to which you could send say 10 pieces of graded baby panda's in crypto slabs. Just like you send coins to NGC today. The company could infact be NGC, PCGS or some new next generation grading company that could offer this service.

Once received, the coins, or more precisely, the immutable crypto slabs holding the coins, would be added to a blockchain, and thus could be traded online in realtime, with order books of bids and asks.

The buyer of the coins could trade them, place them in the order book, or take physical delivery say once a month, or quarterly, and have the actual coins shipped to him, again, just like the bullion warehouses work today. Below a couple of quickly edited, humorous screenshots of coinmarketcaps for MCC, and online trading of blockchain based MCC. All you need to do in your mind is imagine the possibilities..

Edit by badon: Linkify.
« Last Edit: 2016 Oct 18, 10:57:43 AM by badon »

Offline Y7ASyxC

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Oct 12, 01:52:06 AM »
Regarding the coinmarketcap aspect, in theory, it would be possible today to create a MCC coinmarketcap website just like the one above, which would poll Ebay regularly via API for price data of various coins, and automatically list them including charts.

The following users thanked this post: Ufury

Offline Jens

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Oct 12, 01:32:18 PM »
Also regarding NGC / PCGS slabs, i think it's about time they would include QR codes linked to their registry, so you could just scan the slab with your phone and pull up the entry.
They already do that. The qr code is below the number and you can scan it with an app ngc provides (NGC coin details)
"You have to choose (as a voter) between trusting to the natural stability of gold and the natural stability of the honesty and intelligence of the members of the Government.
And, with due respect for these gentlemen, I advise you, as long as the Capitalist system lasts, to vote for gold."   - George Bernard Shaw -

Offline Y7ASyxC

« Reply #4 on: 2016 Oct 12, 01:37:45 PM »
They already do that. The qr code is below the number and you can scan it with an app ngc provides (NGC coin details)

Man, you're absolutely correct. I forgot that even the standard android barcodescanner app scans traditional barcodes as well as QR codes. Silly me. Thanks.

Offline Ufury

« Reply #5 on: 2016 Oct 12, 04:24:27 PM »
Badon said the china exchange would go down and it died. Its not gonna work man it never does....charts will work..... trading wont.
  • I am U Fury in carnate

Offline Y7ASyxC

« Reply #6 on: 2016 Oct 12, 04:31:25 PM »
Badon said the china exchange would go down and it died. Its not gonna work man it never does....charts will work..... trading wont.

I don't understand a word you just said :)

Anyways, it's just a random thought.. One problem with price discovery in MCC is the fact that all these coins has to be physically shipped around the world, mostly one by one.. if they could be stored in 'coinvaults' and be shipped in batches during scheduled physical delivery periods, then they could be traded in realtime online, with thousands more price discovery events a day.

Offline Y7ASyxC

« Reply #7 on: 2016 Oct 12, 04:37:30 PM »
it's not like the cattle traders shift actual cows around the floor of the NYSE, or the gold traders run around with 400 Oz bars for every trade..
As long as they are traded on ebay and shipped after each trade, This won't change.

On the other hand, i understand many prefer the slow, coin by coin approach.. i dunno, just a thought

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: 2016 Oct 12, 09:07:57 PM »
You get price discovery on ebay, and every other venue that publishes bid/ask/sale prices. The biggest problem with price discovery is the illiquid nature of coins. On top of that, the only coins that really NEED price discovery are the ones that are rare enough they appear on the market infrequently. There is no way to fix that problem, because it's the essential nature of rare coins.

Commodity markets are fundamentally different, because each unit of a commodity - cows, barrels of oil, Japanese yen, etc - is fungible (equivalent and interchangeable) with any other unit of the same commodity. Collector coins are NOT commodities. In fact, they're the extreme polar opposite of a commodity. Even things like real estate are easier to commoditize than coins. Most collectibles are the same way, and I can't think of anything that has been successfully exchange-traded. It has been tried so many times in the past, and every time it gets a lot of interest at first, but the fundamentals take over and people realize collectibles only have value because people want to personally own them, not leave them in some distant exchange's warehouse.

Look up info about the Chinese coin exchanges. They dominated the coin market for a while, up until this year (2016), and now nobody talks about them anymore.

The following users thanked this post: Y7ASyxC

Offline badon

« Reply #9 on: 2016 Oct 12, 10:26:15 PM »
Well, i've often wondered, at least for expensive premium coins, would it not be possible to manufacture true glass capsules, from high tech glass like they use in cellphone screens etc? In my mind this would give a much cleaner view of the coin.. Plastic is just plastic.

I thought the glass idea was pretty good at first, but after more thought, I decided it might do more harm than good. Right now, all slabs are made of plastic, and if the slab gets severely damaged, chances are good the coin itself will be unharmed. That's because plastic fragments are soft and unlikely to damage the coin even if it makes direct contact with it. If the slab were glass, fragments of it would definitely damage the coin, even from the slightest contact.

Glass slabs would be so much nicer than plastic slabs, but I think it's actually inferior to plastic. The worst case scenario I can think of is being in a fire. The plastic of a slab would melt around the coin, and actually protect it from damage as a burning building collapses on it. A glass slab would probably fragment from the heat, and any impacts could launched sharp spalled fragments at the coin like little coin-hating bullets.

The following users thanked this post: Y7ASyxC

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: 2016 Oct 12, 10:31:42 PM »
Is it time for the mints and the grading companies to start some product development to keep up with the times, seems to be so quiet on that front to me..
Or maybe we can expect a new Asian/Chinese based grading company to show up, providing real competition for PCGS/NGC in the future? Thoughts?

There is always room for improvement. Although we may never see the glass slabs that you envision, who knows, maybe somebody out there will figure out a new way of doing things. There was a meeting in China recently presented by Zhongchao, a Chinese company trying to compete with NGC and PCGS. I'll attach the photos I have of the event to this post. I recognized a few prominent Chinese numismatists at this event.

Offline badon

« Reply #11 on: 2016 Oct 12, 10:34:20 PM »
More photos...

Offline badon

« Reply #12 on: 2016 Oct 12, 10:37:08 PM »
More photos, and specifications...

Offline badon

« Reply #13 on: 2016 Oct 12, 10:46:16 PM »
More specifications, and some cracked plastic slabs. If that cracked slab were glass, the coin inside might be damaged. As it is, there's no rush to get it fixed, because the broken plastic fragments can't harm the coin.