Author Topic: Time to grab precious metals and coins, things are going badly in Europe  (Read 606 times)

Offline badon

Time to grab precious metals and coins, things are going badly in European and East Asian stock markets right now. After the dust settles, all that money is going to need a new home, and hard assets will get a chunk of it. Thanks to spidercryder for getting my attention about this.

The following users thanked this post: StackOfPandas

Offline Y7ASyxC

Time to grab precious metals and coins, things are going badly in European and East Asian stock markets right now. After the dust settles, all that money is going to need a new home, and hard assets will get a chunk of it. Thanks to spidercryder for getting my attention about this.

This is the situation:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-29/how-much-liquidity-deutsche-bank-has-moment-and-what-happens-next

"Deutsche Bank stands at the center of the European financial system - it is a major counterpart of all relevant European banks, and broader. Recent reports of potential litigation hits have compounded capital concerns, and raised the overall level of market anxiety. “Crisis” questions are being asked: “is there risk of a financial crisis re-run” and “can a large European bank face a liquidity event”?"

"Which ultimately means that DB really has four options: raise capital (sell equity, convert CoCos, which may results in an even bigger drop in the stock price due to dilution or concerns the liquidity raise may not be sufficient), approach the ECB for a liquidity bridge (this may also backfire as counterparties scramble to flee a central bank-backstopped institution), appeal for a state bailout (Merkel has so far said "Nein") or implement a bail-in, eliminating billions in unsecured claims (and deposits) and leading to a full-blown systemic bank run as depositors everywhere rush to withdraw their savings, leading to a collapse of the fractional reserve banking mode (in which there is only 10 cents in physical deliverable cash for every dollar in depositor claims).

Which of the four choices Deutsche Bank will pick should become clear in the coming days. Until it does, it will keep the market on edge and quite volatile, because as Jeff Gundlach explained today, a "do nothing" scenario is no longer an option for CEO John Cryan as the market will keep pushing the price of DB lower until it either fails, or is bailed out."
« Last Edit: 2016 Sep 30, 01:04:20 AM by Y7ASyxC »
  • never argue with idiots

The following users thanked this post: badon, StackOfPandas

Offline badon

Offline badon

Y7ASyxC, any updates on the situation in Europe? I haven't checked precious metals prices or any other news yet, but I suspect more bad news has been released today, which will be good for us and everyone else invested in hard assets. Fridays are when the worst bad news gets released because the delay during the weekend market closure defuses panic before it happens, and diminishes or eliminates any crashes that might happen due to over-reactions.