Author Topic: 2016 classical gardens Zhou Zheng Yuan due for release in October  (Read 3787 times)

Offline badon

The new 2016 classical gardens Humble Administrator's Garden Zhou Zheng Yuan are due for release in October, only a few weeks away at most! There are 5 new types, and I'm pleased to see one of them will have a mintage of 1000.

* 2016 2 oz silver Humble Administrator's Garden Zhou Zheng Yuan, mintage 1000.
* 2016 2 oz silver Humble Administrator's Garden Zhou Zheng Yuan matte antiqued, mintage 399.
* 2016 brass Humble Administrator's Garden Zhou Zheng Yuan, mintage 500.
* 2016 brass Humble Administrator's Garden Zhou Zheng Yuan matte antiqued, mintage 188.
* 2016 100 g gold Humble Administrator's Garden Zhou Zheng Yuan, mintage 10.

The total authorized mintage for the 5 coin set will be only 2097, which is the #3 smallest authorized mintage in the whole series. Only the Xie Qu at 396 and the Ge Yuan at 1784 had smaller total authorized mintages. Several sets have smaller actual mintages, so it's entirely possible this set will have a smaller actual mintage too, which could change its ranking. With all the attention the Nanjing mint has been getting lately, it's likely a lot of collectors will have less money available to buy these coins, which could lead directly to lower actual mintages.

In the past, the China mint would do whatever it had to do to sell the entire authorized mintages, including sitting on hoards of unsold coins for years or decades. That was such a bad coin market business practice that no one wanted to be the first to buy newly issued coins. All through the 1980's and 1990's, buyers would prefer to wait for the hoards to get melted a decade later, before they would be interested in buying something.

It wasn't until the 2012 Singapore expo panda prices crashed in the secondary market that everyone finally learned the lessons about the importance of rewarding the earliest buyers with the lowest prices, to ensure healthy secondary-market conditions. A strong secondary market for the earliest buyers can support prices at or above the original issue price, which makes everyone happy. If sales don't come, production should be halted, and that's another bonus for the buyers when the coins end up with an actual mintage lower than the authorized mintage.

More info:

* Humble Administrator's Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* humble administrator's garden - Google Search

Offline badon

Re: 2016 classical gardens Zhou Zheng Yuan due for release in October
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Sep 24, 04:50:34 PM »
Here is a screenshot of the CC's mintage table for CCT5667: Classical gardens.

The following users thanked this post: Formidable

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Sep 24, 05:56:26 PM »
I have been told buyers are already reserving these new coins with dragonzeng168 (new, ending, sold). Discount info for CCF members is available here:

Re: MCC LIST #183, move from LBC and continuation here at the CC forum

He also gave me an update on one of the mintages. He said the actual mintage for the 2 oz silver is only 750, right now. The authorized mintage is 1000 for that coin. I need to ask him for more details. He just told me this after he learned I had written it's possible this set won't reach the full authorized mintage, which has happened several times before.

Offline trouble

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Sep 24, 11:49:30 PM »
This series design are great except summer gate resort with white spot issue and wrong decision of distributorship. They change it on the next medal of the series and gain popularity again. However, they grade almost all of the medals for sell with small portion sell in omp. This allow them to make more profit but also loss some customers.

Liu yuan bad design which are plenty in China. However, the sponsor has money to hold the coin and maintain the price. They do not sell it at lower price in order to protect previous investor who bought the previous few design at xx. Price. This is totally different strategy as compare to Nanjing panda 14 and 16 which the former are priced high and the later are priced Low. I personally prefer maintain consistent pricing and stable up. I cannot take roller coaster like Nanjing panda. No one know the timing of recover or breakeven for 14 Nanjing antique brass and cooper which release price at 1.7 k.   

i can make a test which list the Nanjing panda 14 antique brass and copper for sell here. Anyone can offer but reserve the minimum selling price at 1.7k. I Guess it take more than 2 weeks and no buyers lol.

The new classical design not fancy and attractive but better than the previous one.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: 2016 Sep 25, 12:32:42 AM »
This series design are great except summer gate resort with white spot issue and wrong decision of distributorship. They change it on the next medal of the series and gain popularity again. However, they grade almost all of the medals for sell with small portion sell in omp. This allow them to make more profit but also loss some customers.

I agree, this might have been a bad decision. Some people do not like slabbed coins. For myself, I would always prefer slabbed coins, but when a coin is known for white spot issues, I prefer original mint packaging (OMP), because the coin can remain spot-free for decades as long as it remains in the OMP. As soon as they take it out and put it in an NGC or PCGS slab, the white spots are more likely to appear if conservation is unsuccessful at removing the acid residue that causes the spots.

Liu yuan bad design which are plenty in China. However, the sponsor has money to hold the coin and maintain the price. They do not sell it at lower price in order to protect previous investor who bought the previous few design at xx. Price. This is totally different strategy as compare to Nanjing panda 14 and 16 which the former are priced high and the later are priced Low. I personally prefer maintain consistent pricing and stable up. I cannot take roller coaster like Nanjing panda. No one know the timing of recover or breakeven for 14 Nanjing antique brass and cooper which release price at 1.7 k.   

[...]

The new classical design not fancy and attractive but better than the previous one.

The Classical Gardens series strategy seems to be working, as long as the sponsor will refuse to sell the coins. However, I think it would be better to destroy the unsold coins, and reward the buyers with a good surprise of a lower actual mintage. The 2016 Nanjing panda strategy is probably not sustainable, so the cheapest prices will only be available during very brief window of time, for only the earliest buyers, That is a better way to ensure the success of the Nanjing panda series, and I think over the long term, everyone will agree the cheap Nanjing pandas were more profitable for early buyers than the Classical Gardens.

I talked to dragonzeng168 (new, ending, sold) about some of this today, and he said something about maybe reducing the price for early buyers. I'm not sure if he will do it personally, or if both of us can persuade the sponsors to use this strategy. Since the Classical Gardens series is mostlty sold to Chinese buyers, it is possible to use a different strategy for foreign buyers. I might try to negotiate a deal where CCF members that buy early can get lower prices, especially if they are outside China. 1 country, 2 systems. Like Hong Kong.

i can make a test which list the Nanjing panda 14 antique brass and copper for sell here. Anyone can offer but reserve the minimum selling price at 1.7k. I Guess it take more than 2 weeks and no buyers lol.

When will you post it?

Offline barsenault

« Reply #5 on: 2016 Sep 25, 04:43:48 AM »
I think I've seen these 2014 antique Nanjing Pandas as low as 1,300.00 on the Internet.  The prices seem to be going more in line with the 2016 antique Pandas. 
MORE INEXPENSIVE NON-FIAT COINS HERE: http://tinyurl.com/zzgbyfm

Offline Formidable

« Reply #6 on: 2016 Sep 25, 01:04:27 PM »
Yeah, the prices of the 2014 antique Nanjing pandas are coming down, and prices for the 2016 are going up. They will meet in the middle and then march upward together. I'm sure the low grades on 2014 vs high grades on 2016 have something to do with it. Besides being overpriced in 2014 and underpriced in 2016. Classical Gardens needs to change it up to keep things interesting. I'm all for lower prices. It is working on the Nanjing pandas, but that will be a forever series. The Classic Gardens series is supposed to end in 2017. What will happen then?? Prices will come down on Classical Gardens? Go up? Maybe the series will continue instead of ending? If it continues we need lower prices to keep the ball rolling.

Offline barsenault

« Reply #7 on: 2016 Sep 25, 02:07:32 PM »
Just because a series ends, does this mean that prices eventually go down? Hmmm.  Not sure that's a true statement?  I think the mintage is low enough, and the series liked by the Chinese,
Allowing prices to remain high?

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: 2016 Sep 25, 04:07:37 PM »
Maybe it's true over the short term, but only if the series was discontinued due to lack of sales, or a glut in supply resulting from insufficient sales. Naturally, a very popular series is probably also very profitable, and thus unlikely to be discontinued. There are exceptions to that when a series is discontinued for other reasons. For example, the silver panda series was temporarily discontinued in 1986 because no one wanted substandard weight metric pandas. In 1987, the metric weight was brought up to standard at a full 1 oz, and the silver panda series thrived after that. Almost always, though, there is a dip in demand that coincides with the discontinuing of the series, which means reduced prices.

One case I can think of where there probably was no dip, or no significant dip, is the 1990 dragon and phoenix coins. They didn't sell well from the beginning, but only because of politically-motivated boycotts of Chinese products after the 1989 Tienanmen Square incident. They never had a chance to drop in value because they didn't have a high value from the beginning. Of course, once again, it was a long time before the market as a whole caused price increases for them.

In the case of the classical gardens, it was planned from the beginning that the series would be ended in 2017. If the series were very successful and profitable, I think it would be extended, but this series is unique in being a "VIP series", where it is intentionally expensive, intentionally low mintage, and intentionally hard to obtain. It's one of the few coin series where I could say it is "elitist" in nature. Because of that, I think it's likely they would end the series just to keep its prestige high, and difficult to obtain. I can't think of any other series that has used that strategy before. There may have been plenty of them that wished they could use that strategy, but they almost never succeed like the classical gardens.

Another thing the classical gardens have in their favor is the timing. At the end of the series they are selling into strong market conditions. So, it will be easy to conclude they're ending the series for elitist reasons, and not because they're having difficulty selling the coins.

The classical gardens series is also playing the "art pricing" angle more than any other series of coins ever minted in the People's Republic of China (PRC). As mini works of art, there are catering to buyers who have a lot of money, and appreciate good quality art. The owners of those coins do not need to sell them, ever. The mintages are low enough that selling will not be effective at raising cash, unless prices go much, much higher. And, despite the low mintages, the actual mintages are being allowed to fall short of authorized mintages when fewer sales can justify it. That helps a LOT to prevent a supply glut that exceeds demand, and drives down prices.

The classical gardens are not very expensive compared to many other coins. In looking at all the factors involved, I have to conclude the classical gardens are a unique case. It appears to me they are fully capable of breaking all the rules, which is a hallmark trait of the best coin investments. They are SO capable of breaking all the rules that no one seems to be wary of a drop in popularity after the series is ended in 2017. That is something that would be threatening to any other coin series, but for the classical gardens, it all gets turned into a good thing. See what I mean about breaking the rules? The classical gardens seem to only get stronger in circumstances that would weaken most normal coins.

Offline badon

« Reply #9 on: 2016 Sep 25, 04:32:44 PM »
I forgot to mention another thing the classical gardens series will benefit from is the gradual ending of low mintage coins from the Shanghai mint. In fact, I suspect that could be the real reason why it is decided to end the series in 2017, even if it would still profitable to continue it. The Shanghai mint is basically just finishing their contract, and then saying goodbye to the classical gardens people, because they make WAY more money with cheap, high mintage coins.

The Shenyang mint is moving in this direction too, and I'm not sure if the Shenzhen mint does any low mintage coins or not. Has anyone ever seen a recent low mintage coin from Shenzhen? If not, then that leaves Nanjing as the last mint that is still willing to produce low mintage coins, and for a lot less money than the Shanghai and Shenyang mints.

What would happen if the classical gardens series got moved to the Nanjing mint? I'm guessing that would result in lower quality because the original classical gardens artists are all at Shanghai, if I understand correctly. Without those artists, a Nanjing mint version of the classical gardens would probably be a lot cheaper, but not as high quality. If there's one thing that can make old things more valuable than new things, it's lower quality in the new things - especially if the new things remain popular (or the only option) despite the drop in quality.

Offline numistacker

« Reply #10 on: 2016 Sep 25, 06:57:16 PM »
Yeah, the prices of the 2014 antique Nanjing pandas are coming down, and prices for the 2016 are going up. They will meet in the middle and then march upward together. I'm sure the low grades on 2014 vs high grades on 2016 have something to do with it. Besides being overpriced in 2014 and underpriced in 2016. Classical Gardens needs to change it up to keep things interesting. I'm all for lower prices. It is working on the Nanjing pandas, but that will be a forever series. The Classic Gardens series is supposed to end in 2017. What will happen then?? Prices will come down on Classical Gardens? Go up? Maybe the series will continue instead of ending? If it continues we need lower prices to keep the ball rolling.

The set for sale at $1,300 is a lower grade set and as such I don't think that the prices have come down on the 2014 at all.
The last copper Nanjing Panda sold today by Lucky reached $197.50 for an NGC PF70 which puts the brass ones graded PF70 at $300+

Offline trouble

« Reply #11 on: 2016 Sep 25, 08:35:17 PM »
I forgot to mention another thing the classical gardens series will benefit from is the gradual ending of low mintage coins from the Shanghai mint. In fact, I suspect that could be the real reason why it is decided to end the series in 2017, even if it would still profitable to continue it. The Shanghai mint is basically just finishing their contract, and then saying goodbye to the classical gardens people, because they make WAY more money with cheap, high mintage coins.

The Shenyang mint is moving in this direction too, and I'm not sure if the Shenzhen mint does any low mintage coins or not. Has anyone ever seen a recent low mintage coin from Shenzhen? If not, then that leaves Nanjing as the last mint that is still willing to produce low mintage coins, and for a lot less money than the Shanghai and Shenyang mints.

What would happen if the classical gardens series got moved to the Nanjing mint? I'm guessing that would result in lower quality because the original classical gardens artists are all at Shanghai, if I understand correctly. Without those artists, a Nanjing mint version of the classical gardens would probably be a lot cheaper, but not as high quality. If there's one thing that can make old things more valuable than new things, it's lower quality in the new things - especially if the new things remain popular (or the only option) despite the drop in quality.

Currently, Nanjing Mint designers yet to bet Shanghai mints famous designer for sure. However, their coining technology are superior.

However, sponsor can think out of boxes and find way to get over the design issue.

Offline trouble

« Reply #12 on: 2016 Sep 25, 08:44:44 PM »
Maybe it's true over the short term, but only if the series was discontinued due to lack of sales, or a glut in supply resulting from insufficient sales. Naturally, a very popular series is probably also very profitable, and thus unlikely to be discontinued. There are exceptions to that when a series is discontinued for other reasons. For example, the silver panda series was temporarily discontinued in 1986 because no one wanted substandard weight metric pandas. In 1987, the metric weight was brought up to standard at a full 1 oz, and the silver panda series thrived after that. Almost always, though, there is a dip in demand that coincides with the discontinuing of the series, which means reduced prices.

One case I can think of where there probably was no dip, or no significant dip, is the 1990 dragon and phoenix coins. They didn't sell well from the beginning, but only because of politically-motivated boycotts of Chinese products after the 1989 Tienanmen Square incident. They never had a chance to drop in value because they didn't have a high value from the beginning. Of course, once again, it was a long time before the market as a whole caused price increases for them.

In the case of the classical gardens, it was planned from the beginning that the series would be ended in 2017. If the series were very successful and profitable, I think it would be extended, but this series is unique in being a "VIP series", where it is intentionally expensive, intentionally low mintage, and intentionally hard to obtain. It's one of the few coin series where I could say it is "elitist" in nature. Because of that, I think it's likely they would end the series just to keep its prestige high, and difficult to obtain. I can't think of any other series that has used that strategy before. There may have been plenty of them that wished they could use that strategy, but they almost never succeed like the classical gardens.

Another thing the classical gardens have in their favor is the timing. At the end of the series they are selling into strong market conditions. So, it will be easy to conclude they're ending the series for elitist reasons, and not because they're having difficulty selling the coins.

The classical gardens series is also playing the "art pricing" angle more than any other series of coins ever minted in the People's Republic of China (PRC). As mini works of art, there are catering to buyers who have a lot of money, and appreciate good quality art. The owners of those coins do not need to sell them, ever. The mintages are low enough that selling will not be effective at raising cash, unless prices go much, much higher. And, despite the low mintages, the actual mintages are being allowed to fall short of authorized mintages when fewer sales can justify it. That helps a LOT to prevent a supply glut that exceeds demand, and drives down prices.

The classical gardens are not very expensive compared to many other coins. In looking at all the factors involved, I have to conclude the classical gardens are a unique case. It appears to me they are fully capable of breaking all the rules, which is a hallmark trait of the best coin investments. They are SO capable of breaking all the rules that no one seems to be wary of a drop in popularity after the series is ended in 2017. That is something that would be threatening to any other coin series, but for the classical gardens, it all gets turned into a good thing. See what I mean about breaking the rules? The classical gardens seem to only get stronger in circumstances that would weaken most normal coins.
Classical garden sponsors have big capital as compare to lucky. They have the power to hold to control the price which lucky does not.

Which is the best ways still highly depending on sponsors and collectors.

For me, I prefer stable price and consistent up rather than lucky way for pricing the 2014 antique Nanjing brass and cooper panda at high level and low level for 2016 Nanjing Brass and cooper panda. The person bought the 2014 Nanjing panda at peak will take very long time to break even. As numistacker said that he will not chase back the previous coin of this series. Why? not confident the price in short term will higher than peak at 1.8k or higher -omp or ??????. I will buy 2016 because it is low so room for margin and upsize. However, the investor who bought 2014 at peak price hard and need at least years and years to break-even. after 2 years and still need to keep years to break-even is hurting. This strategy of sponsor will offend someone BUT also please someone.

willing buyer and willing seller. 

Offline trouble

« Reply #13 on: 2016 Sep 25, 08:45:57 PM »

The set for sale at $1,300 is a lower grade set and as such I don't think that the prices have come down on the 2014 at all.
The last copper Nanjing Panda sold today by Lucky reached $197.50 for an NGC PF70 which puts the brass ones graded PF70 at $300+

Any sold transaction of 2014 antique ?

last 2 years NGC give super low grade to all china antique coins. This is totally change in past 6 months.

The low grade in ebay might be high grade after re-submission.

It is also fun to know any buyer of it even it has lower down the price so much. If no buyer for lower price means high risk for me if I bought at 1.8K omp.

Might be there are some private transaction which we are not aware.

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline trouble

« Reply #14 on: 2016 Sep 25, 08:51:07 PM »

When will you post it?

This week or next which allow more people reading the thread so the chance of selling it is higher.

Edit by badon: Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: 2016 Sep 26, 01:32:25 AM by badon »

Offline badon

« Reply #15 on: 2016 Sep 26, 01:30:37 AM »
[...] another thing the classical gardens series will benefit from is the gradual ending of low mintage coins from the Shanghai mint. In fact, I suspect that could be the real reason why it is decided to end the series in 2017, even if it would still profitable to continue it. The Shanghai mint is basically just finishing their contract, and then saying goodbye to the classical gardens people, because they make WAY more money with cheap, high mintage coins.

Mentioned:

Re: 2016 4th panda expo coin design proposals, mint losing interest in low mintages

Offline badon

« Reply #16 on: 2016 Sep 26, 01:37:41 AM »
For me, I prefer stable price and consistent up [...]

You were reading my mind - or I was reading yours. I agree, stable pricing with steady gains is ideal, and I have an idea for one way we can help to achieve that using this forum to coordinate cheap auctions:

Sellers announce ebay cheap auctions in advance for stable & predictable pricing

Offline badon

« Reply #17 on: 2016 Sep 26, 01:44:06 AM »
last 2 years NGC give super low grade to all china antique coins. This is totally change in past 6 months.

The low grade in ebay might be high grade after re-submission.

NGC has started matching PCGS grading standards for antiqued coins, which everyone seems to agree is the right way to do it. I agree too. The minting quality in 2016 is better than it was in 2014, so maybe the 2014 sets won't upgrade. Someone will eventually take the risk and try it.

Offline barsenault

« Reply #18 on: 2016 Sep 26, 02:55:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm on of those guys who had 3 sets and submitted all three and got PF67's.  Probably didn't help that I had to send them back 3 times because they weren't recognized by NGC, EVEN WITH COA!  Who knows if this miss handled them in the process.  Not sure how many of the 30 are graded at NGC?

Offline badon

« Reply #19 on: 2016 Sep 26, 09:52:15 PM »
Are you going to try submitting them for a 4th time? Now that NGC has matched PCGS's grading standards for antiqued coins, they might get higher grades. Or, you could just send them to PCGS instead. If you resubmit any of them to either grading service, I will be curious to hear back from you if you did indeed get a better grade.

Offline badon

« Reply #20 on: 2016 Sep 27, 12:45:40 PM »
[...] another thing the classical gardens series will benefit from is the gradual ending of low mintage coins from the Shanghai mint. In fact, I suspect that could be the real reason why it is decided to end the series in 2017, even if it would still profitable to continue it. The Shanghai mint is basically just finishing their contract, and then saying goodbye to the classical gardens people, because they make WAY more money with cheap, high mintage coins.

Mentioned:

Re: 2016 4th panda expo coin design proposals, mint losing interest in low mintages

Maybe. Shenzhen is doing some new low mintage coins, if you consider 5000 to be "low" for the 2016 moon festival pandas. For myself, I haven't bought any pandas with a mintage higher than 2000, except the 2014 15 g silver baby panda with a mintage of 2'014.

Re: 2016 panda Moon festival becomes a series, and they are selling quick:
[...]

#3 Collectible Mint Mark Rarity
Collectors know that mint marks matter. Certain mint mark rarities can command far greater demand than more common mint marks. So we were thrilled when we learned that the 2016 Moon Festival Silver Panda Proofs have been struck with the 'Z' mint mark of the Shenzhen Guobao mint. The Z mint mark has only rarely been used for China Pandas in the past.

[...]

Mintages:

I also researched all the known types and their mintages:

* 2015 1 kg silver 1/10 oz gold panda moon festival, mintage 2000.
* 2016 1 oz silver panda moon festival, mintage 10'000.
* 2016 2 oz silver panda moon festival, mintage 5000.
* 2016 10 oz silver panda moon festival, mintage 3000.
* 2016 1 oz gold panda moon festival, mintage 1500.

Offline trouble

« Reply #21 on: 2016 Sep 27, 06:58:33 PM »
Generally, shenzhen mint not likely to mint low mintage non fiat.

Apmex has the capital to mint high mintage silver panda with various sizes. No private sponsor in china has this capital and confident to do the same for non-fiat at this moment.

Offline barsenault

« Reply #22 on: 2016 Sep 27, 07:14:07 PM »
The moon festival panda 1 oz is definitely 5000, NOT 10,000.  And the 2 oz is definitely 2000, NOT 3000.  It's on the COA. 

Offline badon

« Reply #23 on: 2016 Sep 27, 10:51:46 PM »
The moon festival panda 1 oz is definitely 5000, NOT 10,000.  And the 2 oz is definitely 2000, NOT 3000.  It's on the COA. 

Are you talking about this?:

Mintages:

I also researched all the known types and their mintages:

* 2015 1 kg silver 1/10 oz gold panda moon festival, mintage 2000.
* 2016 1 oz silver panda moon festival, mintage 10'000.
* 2016 2 oz silver panda moon festival, mintage 5000.
* 2016 10 oz silver panda moon festival, mintage 3000.
* 2016 1 oz gold panda moon festival, mintage 1500.

Do these numbers need to be re-checked?

Offline badon

« Reply #24 on: 2016 Sep 28, 12:06:04 AM »
Photos! Coins are minted, and in the hands of the sponsors.