Author Topic: The term non-fiat ain't gonna fly  (Read 657 times)

Offline Y7ASyxC

The term non-fiat ain't gonna fly
« on: 2016 Sep 23, 01:05:57 AM »
So it's established, that the coins formerly known as medals are coins, but i suspect the term non-fiat is not a good one, even though it's correct.

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and it's inherently pretty negative sounding.. It's also a combination of 2 words in a not so elegant manner. We need a totally new name for this in my opinion.

I don't know what it's going to be, only time will tell. It's entirely possible that despite the inaccuracy, the term 'medal' will simply prevail over time, because it's so common and easily recognized.

My suggestion for a new term would be private mint coins, or PMC's

regards, mike
  • never argue with idiots

Offline fuzzydice

Re: The term non-fiat ain't gonna fly
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Sep 23, 04:24:47 AM »
So it's established, that the coins formerly known as medals are coins, but i suspect the term non-fiat is not a good one, even though it's correct.

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and it's inherently pretty negative sounding.. It's also a combination of 2 words in a not so elegant manner. We need a totally new name for this in my opinion.

I don't know what it's going to be, only time will tell. It's entirely possible that despite the inaccuracy, the term 'medal' will simply prevail over time, because it's so common and easily recognized.

My suggestion for a new term would be private mint coins, or PMC's

regards, mike

Hmm, good point... "non-fiat" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and is kind of esoteric. This is worth thinking about.

How about "art coin"?

Discuss.

Offline badon

Re: The term non-fiat ain't gonna fly
« Reply #2 on: 2016 Sep 23, 01:32:22 PM »
There will be a reversal in the future. I've succeeded in persuading people to use the terms "coin" and "non-fiat coin", but perhaps that's just the beginning of a transition to "fiat coin" and "coin". Non-fiat coin could be called "NFC", but it makes more sense to just call every coin a "coin", and not bother mentioning fiat or non-fiat unless it's important for some reason. For us, right now, in this place in history, we NEED to talk about non-fiat coins because that's what is defining our place in numismatic history. So, searching for another term to use NOW that doesn't mention fiat is futile.

The fiat or non-fiat status of a coin is why we're making so much money investing in non-fiat, while the rest of the world lags behind us or gets tossed out into the cold. In other words, it's too soon to stop being specific about fiat or non-fiat.

The following users thanked this post: Y7ASyxC