Author Topic: Nanjing 2015 trimetallic dragon and phoenix red enamel varieties  (Read 4492 times)

Offline numistacker

What is a good sign?

All mintage add up for all versions are 600 if I am not wrong. I guess 90% of it has sold out. This consider a good sign that non-fiat is accepting by collectors if it is not hoard by certain collectors (>20 pcs of one version) for further resell. 

This item must also sell globally rather than western countries and overseas. It must gain china collectors acceptance like the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series and Shenyang Buddha and Lunar panda series. Otherwise, it is hard to resell to China in near future. It is possible in longer term as when local realize it is good stuff.

As my understood, local does buy a lot of the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series and Shenyang Buddha. I guess Shenyang lunar panda only 10-15% sold in China. I did check out with many collectors and dealers of this products.

I been told Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series # 1 & 2 does sell equally in china and overseas. #3 & 4 mainly overseas with small percentage in China. The #5 Mintage is 69 which Numistacker information is correct. I heard that Mint keep some #5 for gifting special customer and mints staff.

I suspect the sponsor did pay a high price to buy back the #5 from mint staff to resell.

As Nanjing panda 2016 all 30 mintage are in sponsor hand. In fact, I feel the circulation of the trimetalic #69 in the market after deducting the staff and customer gift by mint is as rare as Nanjing Panda 2016 lowest mintage.

However, both are different series and very success. 

I was very interested that you have also found the same as me in your research on the #5 dragon and phoenix. I always thought that no more than 39 of the 69 were in the wild.. though as you say some of the VIP and mint staff coins are likely to reach the market. I have just had 2 of the #5's graded by NGC and they achieved a 69. The two that Chinesemedals put up for sale @ $420 sold within an hour or two to the same buyer in USA I believe.

The #5 is clearly the key of that set but i do wonder if #2 the red enamel one might not be just as rare?

Offline trouble

Re: Nanjing 2015 trimetallic dragon and phoenix red enamel varieties
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Sep 16, 10:48:18 PM »
What is a good sign?

All mintage add up for all versions are 600 if I am not wrong. I guess 90% of it has sold out. This consider a good sign that non-fiat is accepting by collectors if it is not hoard by certain collectors (>20 pcs of one version) for further resell. 

This item must also sell globally rather than western countries and overseas. It must gain china collectors acceptance like the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series and Shenyang Buddha and Lunar panda series. Otherwise, it is hard to resell to China in near future. It is possible in longer term as when local realize it is good stuff.

As my understood, local does buy a lot of the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series and Shenyang Buddha. I guess Shenyang lunar panda only 10-15% sold in China. I did check out with many collectors and dealers of this products.

I been told Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series # 1 & 2 does sell equally in china and overseas. #3 & 4 mainly overseas with small percentage in China. The #5 Mintage is 69 which Numistacker information is correct. I heard that Mint keep some #5 for gifting special customer and mints staff.

I suspect the sponsor did pay a high price to buy back the #5 from mint staff to resell.

As Nanjing panda 2016 all 30 mintage are in sponsor hand. In fact, I feel the circulation of the trimetalic #69 in the market after deducting the staff and customer gift by mint is as rare as Nanjing Panda 2016 lowest mintage.

I was very interested that you have also found the same as me in your research on the #5 dragon and phoenix. I always thought that no more than 39 of the 69 were in the wild.. though as you say some of the VIP and mint staff coins are likely to reach the market. I have just had 2 of the #5's graded by NGC and they achieved a 69. The two that Chinesemedals put up for sale @ $420 sold within an hour or two to the same buyer in USA I believe.

The #5 is clearly the key of that set but i do wonder if #2 the red enamel one might not be just as rare?

The #2 red enamel not Super welcoming as others as heard. I Guess it is not fully mint. My contact in Nanjing is celebrate moon cake festive so I do not get a chance to ask him.

Offline fuzzydice

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Sep 17, 11:30:33 AM »
What is a good sign?

The interesting thing is that there are actually TWO different Nanjing mint red enamel dragon & phoenix types. The first is the one most people are probably familiar with, it has opaque red "paint" on thr antiqued brass dragon and phoenix side. The second kind has a darker red, more translucent enamel on antiqued copper dragon and phoenix, with antiqued brass on the reverse side with koi & dragon.

I understand the stated mintage (299 if memory serves correctly) was divided between these types. Its still a puzzle why they are not seen often.

The following users thanked this post: SK YEW

Offline numistacker

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Sep 17, 01:52:18 PM »
What is a good sign?

The interesting thing is that there are actually TWO different Nanjing mint red enamel dragon & phoenix types. The first is the one most people are probably familiar with, it has opaque red "paint" on thr antiqued brass dragon and phoenix side. The second kind has a darker red, more translucent enamel on antiqued copper dragon and phoenix, with antiqued brass on the reverse side with koi & dragon.

I understand the stated mintage (299 if memory serves correctly) was divided between these types. Its still a puzzle why they are not seen often.

Lets take a look at the koi side of 4 of the Dragon and Phoenix medals

Left to Right

#1 Copper Proof (brass with silver insert)
#5 Brass Antique (silver antique with copper insert)
#2 Copper Antique (brass antique with opaque deep red enamel and silver insert)
#3 Brass Proof (silver proof with copper insert)

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline numistacker

« Reply #4 on: 2016 Sep 17, 01:56:59 PM »
I understand that the actual mintage of the deep red enamel antique version is no more than 199 (perhaps less) and that it is unlikely the remainder up to the 299 will be minted but there is always that possibility. It is likely that if the remainder are to be minted they may be the translucent red variety  - I have not seen one in person so it is possible some may have already been produced.

Offline fuzzydice

« Reply #5 on: 2016 Sep 18, 02:59:57 PM »
Here are photos of the antiqued dragon & phoenix with dark red translucent enamelling. Notice that the front (dragon and phoenix side) is mainly copper and the reverse is brass. This is the opposite ordering of materials compared to the already known version with opaque red enamel--that one has brass in front and copper on the reverse.

The following users thanked this post: badon, numistacker, SK YEW

Offline badon

Offline badon

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: 2016 Sep 18, 04:54:44 PM »
I understand that the actual mintage of the deep red enamel antique version is no more than 199 (perhaps less) and that it is unlikely the remainder up to the 299 will be minted but there is always that possibility. It is likely that if the remainder are to be minted they may be the translucent red variety  - I have not seen one in person so it is possible some may have already been produced.

Whenever production of a coin is "continued" after initially failing to reach sales and mintage goals, they China mints always change something to make the later coins easily distinguishable from the earlier coins. They do this specifically because they know collectors will shun the China mint if they ever make indistinguishable restrikes. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened was in 2004, and to this day, collectors STILL shun the coins that were restruck. I collect those coins specifically because I believe it's possible to distinguish them, and their history makes them interesting as collectibles.

I'm hoping that will translate into higher values in the future, but I have lost money on them so far, haha. Fortunately, they have never been very expensive, and I enjoy the treasure hunt so much that I just can't force myself to realize an actual loss by selling them.

Offline badon

« Reply #9 on: 2016 Sep 18, 04:58:51 PM »
I should point out that NO mint anywhere in the world will last very long with coin collectors as their customers if they make a habit exceeding an "ended" mintage. Fiat propaganda says the mints can do this any time they want to non-fiat coins, but the fact is, if the mint does it to non-fiat coins EVEN ONCE, collectors won't trust the fiat coins either. So, it's pretty much suicide for a mint to do something like that.

Even private mints and "limited edition" artwork manufacturers won't do something that stupid. If the private mints can't get away with it, you can bet your bippy the fiat issuers can't get away with it either, because faith is fragile, and one little hint of a problem can send everyone into a panicked stampede.

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: 2016 Sep 18, 05:01:04 PM »
I'm waiting for numistacker to rant about the Mexico mint doing stupid stuff to get rid of all those pesky collectors throwing annoying money at them :)

Offline trouble

« Reply #11 on: 2016 Sep 18, 11:16:10 PM »
Here are photos of the antiqued dragon & phoenix with dark red translucent enamelling. Notice that the front (dragon and phoenix side) is mainly copper and the reverse is brass. This is the opposite ordering of materials compared to the already known version with opaque red enamel--that one has brass in front and copper on the reverse.

This not under ,my radar again. I hate it. I shall have one of it.

This is the information from silverstacker about this variant:-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is the upgraded full anemeled red variant out of the 299 mintage which available locally. estimate mintage 90 to 120. The enamel red around 200 to 170. Thus the total mintage for 2 variants is 299. Same Coa for both variants.
This also not available for the appointed China dealer lavender too.
This is on sell few months ago. 20% to 25 % of the 90 or 120 has leaked to overseas.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-73277-dragon-phoenix-tri-metal-1-and-2-page-2.html

This means this variant will be as rare as #3 & 4 as Numicstacker information.

This trimetalic is really mystery. #3,4 and #5 plus #2 (dark red translucent enamelling)not frequently show up in ebay for sell except #1 & 2 (opaque red enamel). I deduce it has sold at least 70-80% for #3,4,5 and #2 (dark red translucent enamelling) before releasing to general market and ebay.

This is the same happening for the second trimetalic swan and mandarin duck which #1 show in ebay and #2 only pre sell in silverstacker.com

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-73277-dragon-phoenix-tri-metal-1-and-2-page-1.html

I just recall there the #3 & 4 of dragon and phoenix coa stated overseas version. I heard it mainly sell overseas instead of Local. I did found #1,2 (dark red translucent enamelling AND opaque red enamel) in China. #5 mints keep xx pcs as informed by Numistacker.

This is really a good distribution approach which #1,2 and 5 which spread among local and overseas collectors. #3 & #4 mainly for overseas collectors. This will be a high potential gain for #3 and #4 if the local buyback the non fiat to form a series and set of 6. This like the gold panda master set. Is the sponsor try to make a trend or test new approach in selling?

Very interesting development.

Nanjing mint get more and more attention for this trimetalic series and Nanjing Panda. 

The following users thanked this post: numistacker, SK YEW

Offline numistacker

« Reply #12 on: 2016 Sep 19, 02:44:02 AM »

Thanks for the photos.

Do you know what the source is for this variety?
Is the COA a new COA with a new mintage?

Offline numistacker

« Reply #13 on: 2016 Sep 19, 02:47:22 AM »

This not under ,my radar again. I hate it. I shall have one of it.

This is the information from silverstacker about this variant:-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is the upgraded full anemeled red variant out of the 299 mintage which available locally. estimate mintage 90 to 120. The enamel red around 200 to 170. Thus the total mintage for 2 variants is 299. Same Coa for both variants.
This also not available for the appointed China dealer lavender too.
This is on sell few months ago. 20% to 25 % of the 90 or 120 has leaked to overseas.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-73277-dragon-phoenix-tri-metal-1-and-2-page-2.html

This means this variant will be as rare as #3 & 4 as Numicstacker information.

This trimetalic is really mystery. #3,4 and #5 plus #2 (dark red translucent enamelling)not frequently show up in ebay for sell except #1 & 2 (opaque red enamel). I deduce it has sold at least 70-80% for #3,4,5 and #2 (dark red translucent enamelling) before releasing to general market and ebay.

This is the same happening for the second trimetalic swan and mandarin duck which #1 show in ebay and #2 only pre sell in silverstacker.com

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-73277-dragon-phoenix-tri-metal-1-and-2-page-1.html

I just recall there the #3 & 4 of dragon and phoenix coa stated overseas version. I heard it mainly sell overseas instead of Local. I did found #1,2 (dark red translucent enamelling AND opaque red enamel) in China. #5 mints keep xx pcs as informed by Numistacker.

This is really a good distribution approach which #1,2 and 5 which spread among local and overseas collectors. #3 & #4 mainly for overseas collectors. This will be a high potential gain for #3 and #4 if the local buyback the non fiat to form a series and set of 6. This like the gold panda master set. Is the sponsor try to make a trend or test new approach in selling?

Very interesting development.

Nanjing mint get more and more attention for this trimetalic series and Nanjing Panda. 

I think this variety approach adds much interest to the new series and of course there is the challenge for locals of getting the overseas version - and the challenge of western buyers to get coins that were designated for local distribution.

Offline fuzzydice

« Reply #14 on: 2016 Sep 19, 05:59:13 AM »

Thanks for the photos.

Do you know what the source is for this variety?
Is the COA a new COA with a new mintage?

Hi numistacker, apparently they are only available from China as of now. The COA is identical to the one for the opaque enamel. So, it's a shared COA between the 2 types with combined planned mintage of 299.

The following users thanked this post: badon, SK YEW

Offline fuzzydice

« Reply #15 on: 2016 Sep 19, 06:39:10 AM »
There was one listed not too long ago on Taobao for about 999 RMB. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Offline SK YEW

« Reply #16 on: 2016 Sep 19, 03:42:45 PM »
Hello guys, are you really interested in the red translucent version?
I do have some OMP sets to spare...
Hmm... let me first learn how to post photos here...

Offline trouble

« Reply #17 on: 2016 Sep 19, 04:27:47 PM »
There was one listed not too long ago on Taobao for about 999 RMB. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Rmb999 means above usd150 before shipping and all fees.

Offline SK YEW

« Reply #18 on: 2016 Sep 20, 11:14:20 PM »
Dear all,
Trying to post photos of my limited stocks of Translucent Red Enamelled Dragon & Phoenix tri-metalic, comparing to the Opaque Red version:

Photo 1: Opaque Red version
Photo 2: Red Translucent Red version (photo from website)
Photo 3: My limited stocks of Red Translucent Red version (Phoenix side 4pcs)
Photo 4: My limited stocks of Translucent Red version  (Koi side 4 pcs)
Photo 5: Zoom on my stock (Phoenix side)
Photo 6: Zoom on my stock (Koi side)

These stocks are to be sold as set with the Green Translucent Ducks & Swan trimetalic.

Hope you enjoy these photos.
Cheers!
YEW

The following users thanked this post: badon, Ufury, RhodiumPanda

Offline RhodiumPanda

« Reply #19 on: 2016 Sep 21, 07:00:06 AM »
Numistacker, etc.

I missed this thread earlier or didn't have time to comment.  Thanks for the thorough info.  These tri-metals are very impressive and ground-breaking.  The 2nd in the series (Mandarin Duck/ Swan) isn't near as impressive in my opinion (so far).  I will still try to collect one of each of them, but am not motivated to get extras.

Offline RhodiumPanda

« Reply #20 on: 2016 Sep 21, 07:02:59 AM »
SK YEW,

Thanks for the varieties info on the antique phoenix/dragon.  Now in addition to 5 official version of a super low mintage medal - there are varieties, too!  Not sure which version I received, but for some reason that enamel red on that coin looks like it belongs there better than any single enamel color ever put on a coin!

Offline SK YEW

« Reply #21 on: 2016 Sep 21, 07:33:44 AM »
SK YEW,

Thanks for the varieties info on the antique phoenix/dragon.  Now in addition to 5 official version of a super low mintage medal - there are varieties, too!  Not sure which version I received, but for some reason that enamel red on that coin looks like it belongs there better than any single enamel color ever put on a coin!

Hi RhodiumPanda,
Great that u like the photos. It is actually still total 5 versions. There is no further variety.  Perhapsmy poor photoshooting skills confused you. However, some websites photos were taken from "naked coin". I was taking photos of my stock through the mint OMP plastic + capsule.  Therefore, u might see as different "variety ".

I can be reached at [email protected] or pm.

Offline RhodiumPanda

« Reply #22 on: 2016 Sep 21, 11:04:54 PM »
SK YEW,

Your photos and post format confused me over varieties!   I have some of each of these coins and keeping the 5 straight is confusing by itself, but the mintages, breakthrough 3 metal content and high relief/design make them one of the few MCC's outside of pandas that I bought more than 1 of each.

I think it is the relief of these (and the fact that dragons and phoenix's are cooler than Mandarin Ducks and Swans) that makes me like them better.  The layout of the duck/swan is clever but the relief and design is nowhere near as impressive.  Do you have info on all the duck/swan's or is there another thread?

Thanks Again,
Rhodium Panda

Offline trouble

« Reply #23 on: 2016 Sep 22, 12:41:13 AM »
SK YEW,

Your photos and post format confused me over varieties!   I have some of each of these coins and keeping the 5 straight is confusing by itself, but the mintages, breakthrough 3 metal content and high relief/design make them one of the few MCC's outside of pandas that I bought more than 1 of each.

I think it is the relief of these (and the fact that dragons and phoenix's are cooler than Mandarin Ducks and Swans) that makes me like them better.  The layout of the duck/swan is clever but the relief and design is nowhere near as impressive.  Do you have info on all the duck/swan's or is there another thread?

Thanks Again,
Rhodium Panda

this might be helpful as I read in another forum.

The following users thanked this post: badon, SK YEW

Offline SK YEW

« Reply #24 on: 2016 Sep 22, 07:12:45 AM »
SK YEW,

Thanks Again,
Rhodium Panda

Hi RhodiumPanda,
Chinesemedals.com would hv most complete description of Duck & Swan (5 versions again eventually, i believed). I do hv few pcs of the red translucent Dragon & Phoenix to spare... letting go as set with preorder of the Green Translucent Ducks & Swan.

I can be reached at [email protected] OR pm.

Thx.
SK YEW

Offline badon

« Reply #25 on: 2016 Sep 22, 10:27:40 PM »
Dear all,
Trying to post photos of my limited stocks of Translucent Red Enamelled Dragon & Phoenix tri-metalic, comparing to the Opaque Red version:

These stocks are to be sold as set with the Green Translucent Ducks & Swan trimetalic.

Cheers!
YEW

Starting from the above-quoted post, down to this post, I split all of those posts from here:

Re: The Nanjing Mint Auspicious Dragon and Phoenix is developing under the radar...

Offline numistacker

« Reply #26 on: 2017 Jan 28, 11:29:26 AM »
I sold a #2 dragon and phoenix (red enamel) in a best offer on ebay today for about $150. That represented about 100% price growth on Luckys $78 ebay price in 1 year. I feel this buyer has made a good buy and I can see these hit $250 or so in the next couple of years.

The following users thanked this post: Ufury

Offline Ufury

« Reply #27 on: 2017 Jan 28, 04:02:13 PM »
pics....    or it didnt happen ........
  • I am U Fury in carnate

Offline Ufury

« Reply #28 on: 2017 Jan 28, 04:05:59 PM »
Dear all,

Cheers!
YEW

NICE PICS SK YEW..   see numi.... it happened lol... it has 2017 a year early lolol!!
  • I am U Fury in carnate

Offline badon

« Reply #29 on: 2017 Jan 29, 12:03:09 AM »
I sold a #2 dragon and phoenix (red enamel) in a best offer on ebay today for about $150. That represented about 100% price growth on Luckys $78 ebay price in 1 year. I feel this buyer has made a good buy and I can see these hit $250 or so in the next couple of years.

I think the fact Australia so blatantly failed in trying to make it obvious they're copying the Nanjing Mint has brought a lot more attention to the Nanjing Mint's coins. I'm not sure what the Australian one costs, but I bet the authentic originals are a much better value in terms of rarity. Of course, the difference in quality is huge, and Australia's hack job can't compare to the Nanjing Mint's masterpiece.

Australia's total rip-off of the Nanjing dragon and phoenix series

Offline numistacker

« Reply #30 on: 2017 Jan 29, 12:44:34 AM »

Offline badon

« Reply #31 on: 2017 Feb 01, 02:08:51 AM »
Nice, it's a low COA number too.

Offline ZROGST

« Reply #32 on: 2017 Oct 31, 07:35:05 PM »
After I play catchup with the Nanjing Pandas (Temple of Heaven and lucky's set... what are we calling that set now? Endangered Animal?) then I am off to collect the entire set of trimetallic Dragon & Phoenix.  Frankly I should have gone after them sooner, when the key variants are available on ebay their premiums are unmatched.  Any of you who ordered "extras" had very good foresight, I think you will make your money several times over on this set.  And I hope that when I come to you begging for the last piece you will sell it to me :) haha

Offline andrewlee10

« Reply #33 on: 2017 Nov 01, 01:12:29 AM »
After I play catchup with the Nanjing Pandas (Temple of Heaven and lucky's set... what are we calling that set now? Endangered Animal?) then I am off to collect the entire set of trimetallic Dragon & Phoenix.  Frankly I should have gone after them sooner, when the key variants are available on ebay their premiums are unmatched.  Any of you who ordered "extras" had very good foresight, I think you will make your money several times over on this set.  And I hope that when I come to you begging for the last piece you will sell it to me :) haha

I have agreed and give the credit to badon hardworking on building ccf. I will give you as New ccf member a 10 to 20% lower than eBay price for this dragon and Phoenix if I check I get extra.

Are we communicate via whatapp haha