Author Topic: This forum has persevered through a lot  (Read 1733 times)

Offline barsenault

This forum has persevered through a lot
« on: 2016 Sep 06, 01:58:33 PM »
I may be crazy, but maybe too many subcategories to keep track of?  Just a little advice, but who I am?  Just a soul on a journey to figure all this stuff out. 

You think it's hard to keep track of now, just wait until you want to review the info again some years in the future when your memory of it gets hazy. You'll have a MUCH easier time finding it again when each topic is focused on a specific subject, and has a descriptive topic title too. Also, I "too much information" is a good problem to have, compared to not enough info, or "too hard to find" info.

Excellent point.  As you know, there is another forum where China fiat and non fiat coins are discussed, and which I admittedly go to see if there is any information I can learn.  But sadly, it is becoming a place to pump, sell, and buy coins, and less about an exchange of information, and Intel.  This is just my opinion of course.  I think you are right to classify all the information being discussed.  Bravo.  Change is hard.  But we'll adapt. :-)  I think it is great that this forum become a storehouse of knowledge and information.  I'm sure there will be sales & purchases via this site too, but I hope it never loses it's primary focus, and that is to provide information, discussion, and Intel around coins. 
MORE INEXPENSIVE NON-FIAT COINS HERE: http://tinyurl.com/zzgbyfm

Offline badon

Re: This forum has persevered through a lot
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Sep 06, 02:10:24 PM »
I may be crazy, but maybe too many subcategories to keep track of?  Just a little advice, but who I am?  Just a soul on a journey to figure all this stuff out. 

You think it's hard to keep track of now, just wait until you want to review the info again some years in the future when your memory of it gets hazy. You'll have a MUCH easier time finding it again when each topic is focused on a specific subject, and has a descriptive topic title too. Also, I "too much information" is a good problem to have, compared to not enough info, or "too hard to find" info.

Excellent point.  As you know, there is another forum where China fiat and non fiat coins are discussed, and which I admittedly go to see if there is any information I can learn.  But sadly, it is becoming a place to pump, sell, and buy coins, and less about an exchange of information, and Intel.  This is just my opinion of course.  I think you are right to classify all the information being discussed.  Bravo.  Change is hard.  But we'll adapt. :-)  I think it is great that this forum become a storehouse of knowledge and information.  I'm sure there will be sales & purchases via this site too, but I hope it never loses it's primary focus, and that is to provide information, discussion, and Intel around coins. 

I noticed that other forum is sort of withering away right now, while this one is growing very rapidly - faster than it ever has before. I think people got tired of the drama and politics over there, and simply having a ton of cutting-edge info here is a good reason to make this forum a useful alternative. The #1 reason there's so much info here is because we're truly friendly, and we don't chase people away moments after welcoming them. In short, we care about the info first, and everything else is secondary. You played a huge role in making this happen.

In fact, it was because of my outrage at the way they mistreated you that I changed my mind about focusing solely on CC data, so we would not be trying to compete with them. We still do the CC data, but I think we do it much better now because people aren't afraid to participate here and share what they know. So, like I've been saying several times each day lately, thank you barsenault. We can feel comfortable to disagree about something without being jerks to each other, and our pride does not get in the way of acknowledging with gratitude when we learn something new. That's very refreshing. Finally, a truly friendly and helpful place to share info and conduct numismatic research, that ALSO has reached the critical mass it needs to draw others in to join us! It took almost 5 years, but we did it!

Another BIG thank you again, barsenault.

Offline barsenault

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Sep 06, 03:52:10 PM »
You've persevered thru a lot.  LOL.  We resisted leaving LBC.  A creature of habit I am, and suspect many others too.  But LBC's 'death' was long over due.  It was impossible to track the history of all those posts.  Those very informative posts.  Who is going back to post 23 to try to fine something important?  I never did.  And I doubt others did either.  Stuff probably just got regurgitated over and over again.  I'm starting to get the hang of this.  I see there is a sort of a general tab, a lunar tab and a panda tab...once you click on those tabs, then you can drill down into the details.  I'm sure with more and more practice, I'll get the hang of it.  Thanks for the kinds words Badon.  It's been fun giving input. I know many others have as well.  It's great to see how this site has evolved.  It's been a journey for sure.  I believe this site will continue to morph into a store house of invaluable information for folks like me, and seasoned collectors, and newbies to make informed decisions on what to buy to or not buy.  Plus they can throw out questions and get answers from folks who have a wealth experience like you, Rhodium Panda, Pandamonium, Trouble, Abe, and many others.  I'm glad I took the dive and just started tinkering with it.  Plus it helped a bit when you 'turned off' LBC. It forces a creature of habit like me, to learn the new way, or move on.  This was too valuable a site to move on, and hopefully many others will feel the same way.  Great job refining it.  I'm sure it is a work in progress, but it will be a tool for folks to use for many, many years in the future.  Kudos!!

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Sep 09, 03:16:51 PM »
Re: 2017 lunar rooster panda design proposal:
[...] And no this isn't a gimmick.  Those who have bought from me know that I'm a straight shooter.  [...] Hopefully no one feels this is me pumping and dumping. That is not my intention.  As I just mentioned above, I do not own a SINGLE antique Monkey, because I took too many orders, and didn't have enough supply, yet I'm over the moon for the person who scored a PF70.  Thanks.

You can leave out all the apologies and pre-emptive self defense against false accusations of financial fraud crimes. That does not, and will not happen on this forum.

Amen to that. I happened to be rereading the offending material earlier at the other place and it was so nasty it sent shivers down my spine

Offline UTAHN

« Reply #4 on: 2016 Sep 10, 03:49:25 AM »
Barsenault,
I know where you can get a 2016 lunar monkey panda 2 oz silver antique at a very reasonable price.
Email or message me.
My thanks to your input also.

The following users thanked this post: badon, barsenault

Offline barsenault

« Reply #5 on: 2016 Sep 14, 04:25:24 PM »
Kinda funny, but 'other website' where Numistacker posted info on the Nanjing Panda a few weeks ago, hasn't said boo about it.  :-X  Maybe one person has responded.  It just goes to show me how stuck they are on fiat coins (I'd say 99% - okay maybe 95%).  I'm surprised Numistacker didn't get the boot from there.  :D  After all, he too could be labeled a pumper and dumper, since he too is selling them.  Those guys there really take the cake.  ;D

Edit by badon: Removed a few potentially sensitive phrases that could be misunderstood. Let's be 100% friendly to dealers at every opportunity, so they can feel welcomed here. Accusers, no! Dealers, yes!
« Last Edit: 2016 Sep 14, 04:52:05 PM by badon »

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: 2016 Sep 14, 04:54:37 PM »
I split and merged barsenault's post above from here:

Re: Long awaited Nanjing 2016 65 g silver pandas now available for pre-order

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: 2016 Sep 14, 05:05:55 PM »
Kinda funny, but 'other website' where Numistacker posted info on the Nanjing Panda a few weeks ago, hasn't said boo about it.  :-X  Maybe one person has responded.  It just goes to show me how stuck they are on fiat coins (I'd say 99% - okay maybe 95%).  I'm surprised Numistacker didn't get the boot from there.  :D  After all, he too could be labeled a pumper and dumper, since he too is selling them.  Those guys there really take the cake.  ;D

Yes, falsely accusing everyone of financial fraud crimes is the reason their forum is withering, and this one is thriving. That forum has a reputation for destroying people whenever they feel like it, and that's not an exaggeration. Fortunately, now they have serious competition. Innocent coin collectors don't need to accept the possibility of being wrongfully imprisoned, tortured, raped, infected, and murdered in American prisons, just because they disagree about fine points of the artistic style used in the design of the 2014 Nanjing pandas. Or whatever silly thing it was.

I think the only reason no one is responding anymore is because they're literally afraid to. If people are afraid of unpredictable abuses, they don't participate anymore. The Nanjing pandas are incredibly noteworthy and they're being discussed right now in forums all over the world...but not that one. I had the dedication to persevere, as you said, during the 5 years it took for it to gain traction, and finally exceed that abomination-of-a-forum. I don't think they have that same dedication, since their joy comes from dominating people. With no one to dominate, what will they do?

Operating a successful forum is expensive and time consuming. It will be a sad day when that other forum goes offline, because everything people posted there will be lost forever. This shouldn't surprise anyone. They deleted around 5000 posts in most of the topics I participated in when I built that forum. I didn't write 5000 posts - those posts were from people sharing their knowledge and discussing new ideas. It was a tragedy, and it's still a tragedy, every time somebody invests their time and effort into posting something thoughtful and carefully researched over there.

Gone. Forever. Why bother?

We're here to stay. We're librarians, and our duty is to preserve and organize information. My vision is that we will still be around centuries into the future. Everything we post here will be the often-cited sources of generations of numismatic and historical researchers and authors. Isn't that exciting?! We're the "old guard", ushering in generation after generation of the people who will follow in our footsteps. We carefully prepared the path for them to follow.
« Last Edit: 2016 Sep 14, 05:33:35 PM by badon »

The following users thanked this post: barsenault

Offline barsenault

« Reply #8 on: 2016 Sep 14, 05:25:08 PM »
Amen brother!  Great post.  And that's the way it should be.  I'm thrilled that this is a repository for information related to such a fine study into non-fiat and fiat coins.  And that is what draws me here. Oh, and I didn't mean to offend any dealer.  I can't even remember what I wrote. Lol. 

I'm sure we will continue to gain more and more knowledge of the rarities from the early years to the more modern rarities.  Because there are folks yet born who will see )as an example) a Nanjing Panda, years into the future, and ask, 'wonder what the history is behind that coin?'  Or 'I wonder how the wave of all these Lunar Pandas came into being?' And they'll have the answers at the finger tips thru this good work.  Keep up the good fight of faith! 

Offline badon

« Reply #9 on: 2016 Sep 14, 05:48:05 PM »
Barsenault,
I know where you can get a 2016 lunar monkey panda 2 oz silver antique at a very reasonable price.
Email or message me.
My thanks to your input also.

Mentioned:

Re: MCC LIST #183, move from LBC and continuation here at the CC forum

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: 2016 Sep 14, 11:54:51 PM »
This animation just made me laugh after reading this topic.