Author Topic: regarding semantics of coin vs. medal  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Y7ASyxC

regarding semantics of coin vs. medal
« on: 2016 Sep 04, 09:08:59 AM »
Hello

This is just my personal opinion. In my mind, non-fiat coins are still coins. In this regard i agree with badon's 'walks like a duck' thesis, and i will always call my non-fiat coins coins.

A medal is something you win in the olympics. A coin is a coin.

just my .1 grams.. :)

regards, mike
  • never argue with idiots

Offline Y7ASyxC

Re: regarding semantics of coin vs. medal
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Sep 04, 09:29:02 AM »
edit: from http://www.etymonline.com

medal (n.)

1580s, from Middle French médaille (15c.), from Italian medaglia "a medal," according to OED from Vulgar Latin *metallea (moneta) "metal (coin)," from Latin metallum (see metal). The other theory [Klein, Barnhart, Watkins] is that medaglia originally meant "coin worth half a denarius," and is from Vulgar Latin *medalia, from Late Latin medialia "little halves," neuter plural of medialis "of the middle" (see medial (adj.)). Originally a trinket or charm; as a reward for merit, proficiency, etc., attested from 1751.

medal (v.)
1845, "stamped onto a medal," from medal (n.). From 1857 as "to award (someone or something) a medal;" intransitive sense is 20c. Related: Medaled; medalled; medaling; medalling.

---

coin (n.)
c. 1300, "a wedge," from Old French coing (12c.) "a wedge; stamp; piece of money; corner, angle," from Latin cuneus "a wedge." The die for stamping metal was wedge-shaped, and the English word came to mean "thing stamped, a piece of money" by late 14c. (a sense that already had developed in French). Compare quoin, which split off from this word 16c. Modern French coin is "corner, angle, nook." Coins were first struck in western Asia Minor in 7c. B.C.E.; Greek tradition and Herodotus credit the Lydians with being first to make and use coins of silver and gold.

coin (v.)
"to coin money," mid-14c., from coin (n.). Related: Coined; coining. To coin a phrase is late 16c. A Middle English word for minter was coin-smiter.

---

metal (n.)
mid-13c., from Old French metal "metal; material, substance, stuff" (12c.), from Latin metallum "metal; mine, quarry, mineral, what is got by mining," from Greek metallon "metal, ore" (senses only in post-classical texts; originally "mine, quarry, pit"), probably from metalleuein "to mine, to quarry," of unknown origin, but related somehow to metallan "to seek after." Compare Greek metalleutes "a miner," metalleia "a searching for metals, mining."

metal (adj.)
late 14c., from metal (n.).

medial (adj.)
1560s, "pertaining to a mathematical mean," from Late Latin medialis "of the middle," from Latin medius "in the middle, between; from the middle," as a noun (medium) "the middle;" from PIE *medhyo- "middle" (source also of Sanskrit madhyah, Avestan madiya- "middle," Greek mesos, Gothic midjis, Old English midd "middle," Old Church Slavonic medzu "between," Armenian mej "middle"); perhaps related to PIE root *me- "between." Meaning "occupying a middle position" is attested from 1721.

medial (n.)
"a medial letter," 1776, from medial (adj.).

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline Y7ASyxC

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Sep 04, 09:31:28 AM »
quoin (n.)
1530s, "a cornerstone," variant spelling of coin (n.); in early use also in other senses of that word, including "a wedge."

Offline Y7ASyxC

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Sep 05, 11:08:51 AM »
medallion (n.)
1650s, from French médaillon (17c.), from Italian medaglione "large medal," augmentative of medaglia (see medal).

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: 2016 Sep 09, 02:11:12 PM »
Thanks for researching this topic. I've decided the only unambiguous definition for the word "medal" is "coin given as an award". Off the top of my head, I can't think of any award medals that aren't metal and at least vaguely coin-like in being cast or die-struck from metal, and typically made to look like gold, silver, or copper. I had the idea to make a website that explains all of this in a very simple way, so anyone who says "it's not a coin, it's a medal" can be compared to a "coin duck" or an "alchemist", haha.

The comparison that seems to be making people think is comparing the failed millennia-long efforts to turn lead into gold, with the failed efforts to turn "fiat" into "coin". The alchemists want everyone to believe they can turn "fiat" into "coin", and they're so bold as to claim they have turned ALL "fiat" into "coin", such that it is no longer acceptable to call a coin coined by coining a coin if it isn't a fiat coin. That's retarded, and people need to be warned about how retarded it is. Here's the article about it:

Lies: A coin coined by coining is not a coin if it’s not a fiat coin

Another one that might work is to call the believers in alchemy "mercury drinkers", as explained here:

Re: I really cannot get the reason that people are stuck with fiat, Non fiat has more interesting design

Or maybe elixir or tonic drinkers:

If you have any other meme-able ideas, share them! You did the basic legwork of researching the definitions, so I think this topic is the best one to consolidate our activism about it here.
« Last Edit: 2016 Sep 09, 02:30:08 PM by badon »

The following users thanked this post: Y7ASyxC