Author Topic: EPCC - 1993 Panda Proof 500 Yuan (5 oz) PR69 (mintage 99)  (Read 820 times)

Offline ivmost

• Rookie
Elite Panda Coin Club - ivmost

No longer in my possession, I have it up for auction  (HA) 2016 June 22 - 24 World Coins Signature Auction - Hong Kong
http://coins.ha.com/itm/china/people-s-republic-gold-panda-proof-500-yuan-5-oz-1993-pr69-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3047-29333.s?ic2=myconsignmentspage-lotlinks-12202013

People's Republic gold Panda Proof 500 Yuan (5 oz) 1993 PR69 Ultra Cameo NGC, KM482. Mintage: 99. Edge number: 045. A rarity in the modern Panda series with less than 100 made and extant examples seldom coming to the market. Of those struck, NGC has certified only 6 examples, with the present piece being tied for the finest certified. The accompaniment of the original box and COA should only further add to the allure of this impressive issue.

Offline badon

Re: EPCC - 1993 Panda Proof 500 Yuan (5 oz) PR69 (mintage 99)
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Jun 09, 04:10:52 AM »
Welcome to CCF, ivmost! Am I correct in thinking your username is pronounced as "foremost", with the "iv" part being the Roman numeral 4?

In order to gain membership in the Elite Panda Coin Club, you need to get photos of your coins together with a note that contains your CCF username and the phrase "Elite Panda Coin Club". You can see an example here: EPCC official rules 2016-05-26. You don't have to make the note yourself, and you don't need to take the photo yourself. You can contact Heritage and ask them to make the note and take the photos for you. It would be a good promotion of their auction, so maybe they will be willing to do it without too much persuading. To get points with your other coins, you need to have all of your coins in the same photo together. That part is optional, and not necessary for membership.

This coin is spectacular! I'm saddened to hear you're selling it, but I hope you're upgrading to something even better. The 1993 and 1994 5 oz gold pandas are among the rarest, and I remember Nick Brown telling me about how few he had seen in his career as rare coin dealer. I would not be surprised to learn that only 10 or 20 of them survived. Do you know what the current population of them is? Nick Brown used to describe "great" coins as coins that have a mintage of 99 or less. What makes these so special is the fact that so few of them were able to avoid being melted after they were minted! There are other coins with the same official mintage, but they're not as rare as these are. And, of course, there are few coins that are as beautiful. Look at that glimmering cameo frosting!

Just judging by the crumpled rim near the bottom of the reverse side, it appears the serial number was stamped by hand. That's interesting. It probably means many coins were damaged my handling before they ever left the mint. This one looks pristine.

Offline ivmost

• Rookie
Re: EPCC - 1993 Panda Proof 500 Yuan (5 oz) PR69 (mintage 99)
« Reply #2 on: 2016 Jun 09, 04:16:42 AM »
Hi Badon,
Yes - it is pronounced foremost!

Sadly, I have liquidated virtually all of my coins, but I thought this would be a great place to let people know about a (truly) rare one becoming available.

Thank you for the positive feedback about my coins! I'll see if Heritage will comply  ;-)