Author Topic: The Nanjing Mint Auspicious Dragon and Phoenix is developing under the radar...  (Read 8855 times)

Offline badon

Offline numistacker

Offline barsenault

Hmm.  Are you sure?  It shows one.  It could be that Andy added another one, since it is a bit of a higher price?  They are nice, for sure.  Glad I have one. Lol.
MORE INEXPENSIVE NON-FIAT COINS HERE: http://tinyurl.com/zzgbyfm

Offline badon

I nabbed screenshot of it when it was sold out. I reloaded when you said there is 1 more, and I screenshotted that too. It's at a higher price. I have had the crappiest luck collecting the big, impressive dragon and phoenix coins. The only ones I have are the 1990 2 g silver ones. My collection of those is so nice, with all the varieties and COA errors, it almost makes up for missing the boat on the 1989 2 oz gold dragon and phoenix, the 1990 2 oz gold dragon and phoenix, the 1990 1 g gold dragon and phoenix, and the Nanjing 2016 trimetallic dragon and phoenix antiqued.

Nobody has enough cash to collect everything. It simply cannot be done. Buy what you like, sell the rest to take some profits and give someone else a chance to own it.

Offline badon

With the release of the 2016 Nanjing pandas, I'm convinced the Nanjing mint is serious business. They haven't made very many coins so far, and temporarily at least, it's not impossible to assemble a collection of everything they have ever minted. Even the rarest of the rare can probably be pried out of somebody's hands for a price that mere mortals can afford. I will be very curious to see what the 2016 65 g silver panda matte antiqued (mintage 30) sells for on the secondary market, after people start receiving their packages in another week or two. I have hunch somebody out there got more than 1, and he's going to be some kind Santa Claus type that will be willing to let the latecomers have a shot at buying one for not too much more than their original issue price. I hope.

Offline trouble

The first two Antique Silver Dragon and Phoenix are back from NGC grading with PF69 which is very good for an Antique finish coin.

You may have noticed that these are basically impossible to find.

Mintage is 69 non-fiat coins for this one.
My understanding is 30 were kept by the mint leaving 39 in circulation.

Is the mintage 69 or is it 70? I thought it was 70.

On reddit:

The first Nanjing 2015 trimetallic auspicious culture dragon and phoenix matte antiqued certified at NGC

It is 69 mintage. I own one of it.

Offline trouble

With the release of the 2016 Nanjing pandas, I'm convinced the Nanjing mint is serious business. They haven't made very many coins so far, and temporarily at least, it's not impossible to assemble a collection of everything they have ever minted. Even the rarest of the rare can probably be pried out of somebody's hands for a price that mere mortals can afford. I will be very curious to see what the 2016 65 g silver panda matte antiqued (mintage 30) sells for on the secondary market, after people start receiving their packages in another week or two. I have hunch somebody out there got more than 1, and he's going to be some kind Santa Claus type that will be willing to let the latecomers have a shot at buying one for not too much more than their original issue price. I hope.

I have the secondary market sell it higher for the 2016 silver antique Nanjing Panda.

Collectors also must eye on the second trimetalic of the Nanjing Mints

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-73277-dragon-phoenix-tri-metal-1-and-2-page-1.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-77310-high-relief-perfection-from-nanjing-mint.html

I saw Barsenault webpqage is up for pre ordering:-

http://chinesemedals.com/products/nanjing-mint-trimetalic-medal-china-traditional-culture-series-2-swan-and-mandarin-duck-number-1-and-number-2-2-pc-combo-set-pre-order

http://chinesemedals.com/products/nanjing-mint-trimetalic-medal-199-mintage-combine-2-version

Another rare item which is missing under my radar. Paktong. 100 mm mintage 50 only BUT price is 199 USD with shipping.

http://chinesemedals.com/products/2014-dragon-and-phoenix-1-oz-star-2-silver-medal-by-shanghai-mint

Barsenault and Partner prefer SS as platform. They must use CCF too.

Offline badon

(wrong place.  I'm sure Badon will move it. Lol)
Two antique P&D here. http://chinesemedals.com/products/nanjing-mints-china-traditional-culture-series-dragon-and-phoenix-trimetalic-medal-30g-999-silver

Both sold immediately at full price ...

Hmm.  Are you sure?  It shows one.  It could be that Andy added another one, since it is a bit of a higher price?  They are nice, for sure.  Glad I have one. Lol.

Re: Long awaited Nanjing 2016 65 g silver pandas now available for pre-order:
This item must also sell globally rather than western countries and overseas. It must gain china collectors acceptance like the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series [...] As my understood, local does buy a lot of the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series and Shenyang Buddha. [...] I been told Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series # 1 & 2 does sell equally in china and overseas. #3 & 4 mainly overseas with small percentage in China. The #5 Mintage is 69 which Numistacker information is correct. I heard that Mint keep some #5 for gifting special customer and mints staff.

I suspect the sponsor did pay a high price to buy back the #5 from mint staff to resell.

Excellent information from trouble. I had not considered the possibility that dealers were begging to buy the coins from VIP's. That explains why they're sold out, then available, then sold out again. It's all secondary market coins we're seeing!

Offline badon

Offline badon

(wrong place.  I'm sure Badon will move it. Lol)
Two antique P&D here. http://chinesemedals.com/products/nanjing-mints-china-traditional-culture-series-dragon-and-phoenix-trimetalic-medal-30g-999-silver

Both sold immediately at full price ...

Re: Long awaited Nanjing 2016 65 g silver pandas now available for pre-order:
This item must also sell globally rather than western countries and overseas. It must gain china collectors acceptance like the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series [...] As my understood, local does buy a lot of the Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series and Shenyang Buddha. [...] I been told Nanjing trimetalic Chinese culture series # 1 & 2 does sell equally in china and overseas. #3 & 4 mainly overseas with small percentage in China. The #5 Mintage is 69 which Numistacker information is correct. I heard that Mint keep some #5 for gifting special customer and mints staff.

I suspect the sponsor did pay a high price to buy back the #5 from mint staff to resell.

Excellent information from trouble. I had not considered the possibility that dealers were begging to buy the coins from VIP's. That explains why they're sold out, then available, then sold out again. It's all secondary market coins we're seeing!

One available on ebay:

Re: MCC LIST #183, move from LBC and continuation here at the CC forum

It probably won't last very long before somebody grabs it. ebay bucks and PayPal credit deals (and maybe others) are getting better this time of year, which normally results in sales at higher prices than we would see without those deals.

Offline badon

Offline trouble

Finally, I see one piece of antique dragon and phoenix in secondary market. Price 888. Price double up for the peak price. It likely for show only. 

#1 PF68 at 110. This is the highest mintage version.

Edit by badon: Linkify.
« Last Edit: 2016 Oct 04, 01:45:49 AM by badon »

The following users thanked this post: badon

Offline perfulator

Finally, I see one piece of antique dragon and phoenix in secondary market. Price 888. Price double up for the peak price. It likely for show only. 

If it sell, there might be a few released to market for quick wins, but if it not sell, I doubt there will be any alternative as everyone who sits on this know how good it is, so not an easy choise for those who have this on the buy list...

Offline badon

Offline trouble

Nanjing mint 2015 dragon Phoenix trimetalic medal antique (transculent red)

finally, someone is listing in ebay the rare version estimate at 90-120 mintage as stated in silverstacker.com forum

2015 Nanjing Mint Trimetallic Dragon and Phoenix Medal NGC PF 69

if this sold at 250 with 299 mintage the rare one 90-120 mintage shall sell higher

« Last Edit: 2016 Oct 18, 01:49:31 PM by badon »

Offline badon

I would like to build a set of all the rare varieties. I'm really a sucker for variety hunting. It's a lot of fun to do, and it gives me an excuse to buy (and keep) more coins than I normally would. The tiniest little differences...can't sell that one, it's a variety!

Offline trouble

I would like to build a set of all the rare varieties. I'm really a sucker for variety hunting. It's a lot of fun to do, and it gives me an excuse to buy (and keep) more coins than I normally would. The tiniest little differences...can't sell that one, it's a variety!

You shall ask barsenault partner in silverstacker who is name as Andy too. I think this items sponsor by them.

Offline trouble

Nanjing mint 2015 dragon Phoenix trimetalic medal antique (transculent red)

finally, someone is listing in ebay the rare version estimate at 90-120 mintage as stated in silverstacker.com forum

2015 Nanjing Mint Trimetallic Dragon and Phoenix Medal NGC PF 69

if this sold at 250 with 299 mintage the rare one 90-120 mintage shall sell higher

The red sold at 199. Will it be another listing ?

Offline badon

I hope so, I would like to assemble a set of them, but not enough cash!

Offline trouble

I hope so, I would like to assemble a set of them, but not enough cash!

I also eyeing on it.

Offline badon

I finally got my hands on one of the antiqued dragon and phoenix, thanks to numistacker's efforts, and I have to say, it's one of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen. At first I thought the trimetallic thing was gimmicky, but it's not - it really does add to the beauty of the design, and it just wouldn't be the same without it.

I dislike the colorized coins that are out there. To me they just look like a nice coin with some fragile junk glued or printed onto it. The enameled colorized coins are a lot better because they're more durable, but they're still not metal. I'm very much hoping the Nanjing mint's success with the trimetallic coins will enable them to produce coins that are COLORED WITH METAL, and not just selectively plated like the gold accents on the 1998 and 1999 1 oz silver Beijing expo pandas.

I have some ideas for how to do this, but it's expensive. Maybe I'll get some opinions, and then share the info with the Nanjing mint, and see what they say.

The following users thanked this post: numistacker

Offline trouble

I finally got my hands on one of the antiqued dragon and phoenix, thanks to numistacker's efforts, and I have to say, it's one of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen. At first I thought the trimetallic thing was gimmicky, but it's not - it really does add to the beauty of the design, and it just wouldn't be the same without it.

I dislike the colorized coins that are out there. To me they just look like a nice coin with some fragile junk glued or printed onto it. The enameled colorized coins are a lot better because they're more durable, but they're still not metal. I'm very much hoping the Nanjing mint's success with the trimetallic coins will enable them to produce coins that are COLORED WITH METAL, and not just selectively plated like the gold accents on the 1998 and 1999 1 oz silver Beijing expo pandas.

I have some ideas for how to do this, but it's expensive. Maybe I'll get some opinions, and then share the info with the Nanjing mint, and see what they say.

The technology yet to able to strike for more than 4 metals together at economy of scale if I am not wrong.

Offline badon

All the methods I can think of are expensive, and slow, so you are probably correct. I will keep pondering this question, and maybe I will think of a way to do it.

Offline numistacker

So happy it got to you safely.

Offline badon

The Nanjing dragon and phoenix series got some attention today, here:

badon_ comments on : What Coin in Your Collection is Your Favorite? : /r/coins