Author Topic: Rare panda club ideas  (Read 5106 times)

Offline badon

Rare panda club ideas
« on: 2016 Mar 14, 05:49:48 PM »
Badon, you mentioned once about making an under 50 club for those owning coins with a mintage of 50 and under. I thought that was a great idea, but now I'm thinking with our little corner of the market in holdings of the Baby Pandas, after they finally skyrocket, we could form our own little Baby Panda club. I can imagine all the posts of pictures of our Baby Panda collections while others wait a year(s) for just one 30g to surface on the market for them to buy. People would just hate us for the hoard we'd own over them.

I haven't done anything with the club idea yet because I'm still unsure what to call it and how it would work. Here are the ideas I've had so far:

* Panda Millennium Club (PMC)
* Panda Century Club (PCC)
* Panda Decade Club (PDC)
* Panda Year Club (PYC)
-
* Panda Eon Club (PEC)
* Panda Era Club (PEC)
* Panda Generation Club (PGC)
-
* Panda Peanut Club (PPC)
* Panda Bamboo Club (PBC)
* Panda Cub Club (PCC)
* Panda Baby Club (PBC)
-
* Panda Rarity Club (PRC)
* Panda Relative Rarity Club (PRRC)
* Panda Elite Club (PEC)
* Panda Key Club (PKC)
* Panda Semi-Key Club (PSKC)
* Panda Endangered Club (PEC)
-
* Panda 1000 Club (P100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 1000 or less.
* Panda 500 Club (P100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 500 or less.
* Panda 400 Club (P100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 400 or less.
* Panda 300 Club (P300C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 300 or less.
* Panda 200 Club (P200C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 200 or less.
* Panda 100 Club (P100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 100 or less.
* Panda 30 Club (P30C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 30 or less.
* Panda 25 Club (P25C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 25 or less.
* Panda 20 Club (P20C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 20 or less.
* Panda 15 Club (P15C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 15 or less.
* Panda 10 Club (P10C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 10 or less.
* Panda 5 Club (P5C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 5 or less.
-
* Panda Sub-1000 Club (PS100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 1000 or less.
* Panda Sub-500 Club (PS100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 500 or less.
* Panda Sub-400 Club (PS100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 400 or less.
* Panda Sub-300 Club (PS300C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 300 or less.
* Panda Sub-200 Club (PS200C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 200 or less.
* Panda Sub-100 Club (PS100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 100 or less.
* Panda Sub-30 Club (PS30C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 30 or less.
* Panda Sub-25 Club (PS25C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 25 or less.
* Panda Sub-20 Club (PS20C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 20 or less.
* Panda Sub-15 Club (PS15C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 15 or less.
* Panda Sub-10 Club (PS10C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 10 or less.
* Panda Sub-5 Club (PS5C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of 5 or less.
* Panda Sub-0 Club (PS0C), for owners of panda coins with mintages of ? or less.
* Panda Sub-Zero Club (PSZC), for owners of panda coins with mintages of ? or less.
-
* Panda 1000 Club (P1000C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 1000 to 1999 level.
* Panda 600 Club (P600C),
* Panda 500 Club (P500C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 500 to 599 level.
* Panda 400 Club (P400C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 400 to 499 level.
* Panda 300 Club (P300C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 300 to 399 level.
* Panda 200 Club (P200C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 200 to 299 level.
* Panda 100 Club (P100C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 100 to 199 level.
* Panda 30 Club (P30C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 30 to 99 level.
* Panda 20 Club (P20C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 20 to 29 level.
* Panda 10 Club (P10C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 10 to 19 level.
* Panda 5 Club (P5C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 5 to 9 level.
* Panda 1 Club (P1C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 1 to 9 level.
* Panda 1 Club (P1C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the 1 to 4 level.
* Panda 0 Club (P0C), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the ? to ? level.
* Panda Zero Club (PZC), for owners of panda coins with mintages at the ? to ? level.
-
* Panda Elite Club (PEC), for all membership levels for coins with mintages of 100 or less.
* Panda Elite Club PEC100, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 100 or less.
* Panda Elite Club PEC30, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 30 or less.
* Panda Elite Club PEC20, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 20 or less.
* Panda Elite Club PEC10, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 10 or less.
* Panda Elite Club PEC5, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 5 or less.
-
* Elite Panda Club (EPC), for all membership levels for coins with mintages of 100 or less.
* Elite Panda Club EPC100, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 100 or less.
* Elite Panda Club EPC30, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 30 or less.
* Elite Panda Club EPC20, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 20 or less.
* Elite Panda Club EPC10, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 10 or less.
* Elite Panda Club EPC5, for owners of panda coins with mintages of 5 or less.

If we go with "Elite Panda Club", we can format membership numbers as EPCxxx-NNN, where "xxx" is the recognized rarity level (RRL) achieved, and "NNN" is the sequential membership number. The rarity level can change, but the membership number would stay the same. We can gradually open membership to higher recognized rarity levels and mintages as the market matures, prices rise, and today's "high" mintage becomes tomorrow's "low" mintage.

Proposed rules:

* Must prove possession of the coin. Photo of the coin with a note next to it that has the date of the photo and your CCF username would work.
* Very brief momentary possession, long enough for a photographic opportunity, is allowed! Be nice to the collectors who own the rare coins, and maybe they will let you join the club. This will be a lot of fun, and educational, because it will encourage collectors to seek out the rarest coins at coin shows and museums, to give them the attention they deserve. It might be an easy way for dealers to market their coins, with promotional advertising that says they're allowing people to take photographs next to their coins. Dealers could produce special business cards specifically for this purpose, so every photo taken and submitted for membership would serve to advertise their business. I think this is a win-win thing for everyone.
* Sequential member number assigned after posting proof, and acceptance of proof.
* Member numbers are assigned in the format of "EPC30-999", "EPC30 #999", or "EPC30 member #999", with the number after "EPC" representing the recognized rarity level of the rarest coin presented as proof to earn membership.
* Members may upgrade their recognized rarity levels when they acquire rarer coins. For example, "EPC30 #999" could become "EPC20 #999". The member number remains the same.
* Coins bigger than 3 oz are to be called "fat pandas", and member numbers earned with fat pandas will be in the format "EPC30 #999FAT". "FAT" can be removed after proving possesion of a coin of sufficient rarity that is not a fat panda. "EPC30 #999FAT" is better than "EPC1000 #999", because rarity is what matters the most in this club.
* Rules are subject to change at any time, but memberships that have been legitimately granted can never be revoked due to a rule change.

Any other ideas, suggestions, or comments?

Offline AbeLinkin

Re: Rare panda club ideas
« Reply #1 on: 2016 Mar 18, 06:08:35 AM »
Hey badon. I've been dealing with a nightmare with my internet service provider on top of my unusually busy business schedule as of late. I have been pulling my hair out for the last 48 hours and just now, got my service back up and running as it should.

I think this is exciting and has a lot of potential. You've put together a pretty impressive list here and I like it!

I am guessing this will take a lot of work, so attacking this might work better if done in phases and as far as keeping it appealing I wold say simpler is probably better. With a little bit of polish and a healthy membership base it could draw the attention of some serious players and promoters.

You've got a much better grasp of all these coins than I do, so you're going to be able to create a much better mental image of what it should all encompass. Thinking freely here I can kind of imagine it in a sort of two group system built in the similar framework of a good coin series that's getting it's feet off the ground: Group 1 would be an achievable educational group that encourages beginners to semi-serious investors to get involved, that helps them materialize their goals and keeps them on track and slowly builds member status (This is where you'll get your most members.). While group 2 would be an elite level of super rare, low mintage coin holders that group 1 can dream about achieving, that would galvanize the clubs status, and grab the attention of the super serious collectors, putting them all into one place. These two groups could then be tiered down into sub-groups where it seems fit.

I'm sure with time and input this will all morph into something pretty great. Getting it done and placing it correctly is going to be the hard part. Do you know of any other clubs out there doing similar things that we could get a gauge off of?

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: 2016 Mar 19, 02:22:05 AM »
If we go with the "EPCxxx" format of memberships, we could accommodate virtually everyone who owns a panda with a known mintage. So, for example, someone could whip out $37 to buy this coin that has a panda on it and has a mintage of 20'000: 141907202318. That coin would get them membership in the club as "EPC20000". It's all 1 club, but all the members are ranked by the rarity of the coins they have. I guess we don't really need any specific groups or levels of membership - the EPC number would just simply have the mintage of your rarest coin. If I used my 2013 brass panda 1st panda expo to join the Elite Panda Club, I would get EPC18, for the 18 mintage of that coin.

By the way, I was surprised at how cheap the $37 coin is. I think the Elite Panda Club could cause price gains in coins like that, because of people buying them to get the best membership at the lowest possible cost. I hope it's not a lot of work to do this club thing. Basically I would just make a forum area specifically for the club, and people would just post their "possession" photos there, and then we would judge the photo as worthy or unworthy, haha. If worthy, then we would assign the next sequential club membership number, and we're done.

If we want to make the club more exclusive, we could just decree that we're not awarding membership for any coin with a mintage above some level. For example, if we only admit members for coins with mintages of 1000 or less, that's a smaller number of members than if we admit membership for mintages of 20'000. We could raise or lower the bar depending on circumstances, to make sure membership is never too difficult. Right now, you can buy a 2014 15 g silver baby panda for about $60 to $70, which totally within reach of almost anyone, but it's still an impressive low mintage for the money. Therefore, we could propose that the maximum permissible mintage at this time is 2'014, just to cater to the easy availability of that coin.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #3 on: 2016 Mar 19, 04:41:50 AM »
Okay, well I like the sound of that. I may have been thinking too big, but simply crating a page to post and maintain status sounds like a good idea and that would have the added advantage of creating value within the CCF all together. If it were to gain major popularity you could later build off of it into something more organized and immersive as an actual "club" with memberships and organizational things that clubs are known for.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: 2016 Mar 24, 08:38:13 PM »
OK, I made a forum for the club. I decided to call it the Elite Panda Coin Club (EPCC), because I like the "CC" in the acronym. It emphasizes its affiliation with the Coin Compendium (CC). So, anyone who gains admittance to the club could display their membership number in one of  these formats, with up to 6 "0" padded digits optional:

EPCC<mintage>-<membership number>
EPCC<mintage> #<membership number>

So, for my 2013 brass panda 1st panda expo, my membership number looks like this (dibs, but I still need to post my photo):

EPCC18-000001
EPCC18 #000001
EPCC18-1
EPCC18 #1

A 6 digit membership number implies the number of members is limited to about 1 million. Obviously, that huge number of members would theoretically permit membership with coins that have a maximum mintage of 1 million, but it will probably take a few more decades before panda coins with mintages of 1 million will be impressive. For now, we could exclude coins with mintages higher than 10'000. That would qualify the 1983 27 g silver panda, but not the 1982 gold pandas. Judging from the prices of 1982 gold pandas, it's possible the surviving population of them is lower than the 1983 27 g silver panda, but since the market is young and there are no reliable surviving population numbers yet, we have no choice but to rely only on known mintages.

Rare coins with known low mintages already have a price premium compared to equally rare coins that have unknown mintages, and this policy will likely add a little to the premium due to it encouraging people to favor pursuit of coins with known low mintages, instead of coins with unknown mintages, even if they have equal rarity. Since we know this phenomenon already exists without our help, I guess that means we can feel OK about snubbing rare coins that don't meet the low mintage requirements.

For now, membership is free, but in the future we might have enough volume of membership applications, and maybe member services like a newsletter or something, which would require dues to be paid in order to sustain them. I don't foresee that happening any time soon, and maybe never, because the whole point of a rare panda club is the low number of members. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I made the club forum description like this:

A club exclusively for collectors of "Elite Pandas", the rarest panda coins ever minted! Make a note with "Elite Panda Coin Club" and your CCF user name on it, then put the note next to your elite panda and take a photo of them both together. Then, post your photo in this forum with a message that explains why your coin makes you worthy of EPCC membership. You do NOT need to own the coin! You can ask someone to let you take a photo of your note next to their coin! See complete rules for details.

Since unlimited numbers of people can acquire membership using the exact same coin specimen, that could result in unexpectedly large numbers of members. That would be a good problem to have, though! :) We'll see how it goes, and how much interest this club generates.

I had the idea that maybe we ought to have some kind of "flair" for people to use out in the world to show off their membership. It could be something simple like a snippet of text to put into a forum signature, for use on this forum or any other forum. It could be something like pins, buttons, hats, rings, and stuff like that, if someone wants to geek-out their attire for the occasion of a coin show or some other event. The thought crossed my mind we could use more than just text in forum signatures, like a fancy banner or whatever that draws a lot more attention. We would have to auto-generate it, but I don't have time to program that up yet, so it's an idea for the future.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #5 on: 2016 Apr 03, 11:59:18 PM »
I apologize for it taking so long for me to comment. This has been on my mind quite a bit actually. I think it's a great idea. I really like the sound of all of this and the "flair" is an especially nice touch. What all needs to be done to get this rolling? If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: 2016 Apr 04, 02:25:12 AM »
Thanks for your input. I just inaugurated the club with my own membership: EPCC badon 2013 brass panda 1st panda expo coin PCGS 69 - mintage 18. Next, I'm going to experiment with some "flair" ideas. That should be fun!

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #7 on: 2016 Apr 05, 10:24:00 PM »
Are we to keep our admissions for the EPCC under a certain mintage or are we keeping that open for the time being?

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: 2016 Apr 05, 11:14:46 PM »
Good question. What's the mintage of your rarest panda? I proposed an eventual maximum mintage of 10'000, but that might be too high to be "elite" when there are much rarer pandas available. What do you think of putting the limit at 2'014, so people can gain admission with a 2014 15 g silver baby panda that costs only $60? That puts the financial barrier to entry low in the beginning when we're just starting the club, but given the high likelihood the baby pandas will increase enormously in value, it will result in an easy and natural increase in prestige of membership, along with the increase in the price of the baby pandas.

Since prestige of membership is based entirely on the rarity of your rarest panda, and not necessarily on the membership itself, I think we can be generous in granting membership without cheapening it. The way I envision it working is, when someone makes their photo note post, a quorum of EPCC members votes on whether to accept the new member or not by posting their "Yay" or "Nay" replies - hopefully with some snarky/humorous explanation (panda is too fat, panda is too skinny...). So we may not need to set a specific limit if the members like what they see. For example, the name is "Elite Panda Coin Club", so anything sufficiently impressive might be deemed "Elite" enough to be permitted membership. I have already anointed myself "benevolent dictator for life", so in theory I could overrule votes, but that wouldn't be as much fun as just watching the mayhem, haha.

Eventually we'll have to decide what number constitutes a "quorum" of members. Since I'm the only member, right now the quorum is only 1 :)

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #9 on: 2016 Apr 05, 11:37:10 PM »
I like the idea of 2014 as being a firm number for "Elite" status. That seems like a good Goldilocks zone to be in. I think a good portion of the members here will be able to participate within those boundaries. It's not too small to be completely unachievable and this will also allow for the education and promotion of more than just a select few coins for people to aspire to adding to their collections (The club would need to be able to maintain some bit of achievable momentum for members.). While at the same time it's not to big for it to not be considered credible in status. When you get outside the walls of these forums, mintages of 50,000 - 100,000 look low to a lot of people and a mintage of under 10K they get really excited about, so a 2K mintage to a lot of folks can appear super rare, even more so for under 500.

We should make (we, meaning you. sorry badon. you could probably spit out a list straight from memory.) a master list of pandas that would fit into this category. A sort of checklist I guess you could say for members to keep track of. You may have even done this already. I seem to remember you having done something like this in the past. My memory is horrible.

All in all I think this is great!

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: 2016 Apr 06, 12:20:34 AM »
I just made forums for GRANTED and DENIED membership requests. It seems we might want something like "GRACED BY THE HAND OF GOD" if somebody gets a note photo for the 1982 1 oz platinum panda with a mintage of 5, haha. I can see how this club might be a lot of fun for both the owners of these coins, and their "fans" begging for permission to take a photo of them. I agree about the need for a list. Here are some good starters:

* 2014 baby panda speculative investment potential comparison
* Re: Lists of coins that might be a good investment

An easy place to maintain a list is in CCT30: Panda. The lists above mostly only cover pandas with mintages under 100 if I remember correctly. Having a convenient list of pandas with links to find them on ebay, will simplify the process of chasing and collecting the rarest pandas (the metal ones, not the meat ones). I did some quick looking around on ebay, and I couldn't find anything that is as cheap as the 2014 15 g silver baby pandas that is even close to as rare as those are. It seems 2000-mintage pandas start at a few multiples of the $60 price on the 15 g silver baby pandas. As we're looking around for other coins that would qualify for EPCC membership, we will get a feel for what's out there, and which ones give the most bang for your buck, both in terms of membership, and maybe investment potential too.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #11 on: 2016 Apr 06, 12:45:13 AM »
Another question - Lets say someone has more than one of one coin. Should they post an image of only one and move on to the next? Or should they post an image of all of what they have and/or individual posts of each as they are acquired? Would having more give them more "points"?

Offline badon

« Reply #12 on: 2016 Apr 06, 01:11:03 AM »
Fantastic idea! A points system is the next logical step after assembling a list of rare pandas that can earn qualification for EPCC membership. I just ran some numbers, and the easiest way to assign points might be to use this formula:

1 / mintage X 1000 = POINTS

So, for my 2013 brass panda 1st panda expo, the formula would look like this:

1 / 18 X 1000 = 55.5555 points

For a 2014 15 g silver baby panda, the formula looks like this:

1 / 2014 X 1000 = 0.4965 points

That means you would need 112 of the 2014 15 g silver baby pandas to match the points I get from just one 2013 brass panda expo. At $60 each, that means you would have to spend $6720 on 15 g baby pandas to match the 2013 brass panda expo that costs $5888 on ebay right now: 161996917844 (with Best Offer option). If the 15 g baby pandas go up to $100 each (I believe they will in the next year or two), then you would have to spend $11'200 on them to match the 2013 brass panda expo. Although some people might opt to get their points from 15 g baby pandas when they're only $60, after they go up in value, there would be motivation to sell them and buy something rarer that costs less for the same amount of points.

Does that make sense?

Since we require an obverse and reverse photo for every coin, I guess the only way to prove you had possession of 112 of them would be to photograph the obverse of all 112 at the same time, then flip them over and photograph the reverse for all 112 of them at the same time, and/or the COA's with different COA numbers to prove it's not a Photoshop job. Then, the members might vote and say "the resolution isn't high enough to prove they're real. Now, photograph them individually next to their COA to satisfy my whims". Maybe somebody with that kind of money will have the patience to jump through the hoops like that, but I think I'll just stick to my 2013 brass panda expo :)

In any case, a points system is a FANTASTIC way to keep the ball rolling, and not rest on your laurels after you gain membership. There will always be competition for higher points. How should we represent points in the member number? "EPCC18" represents my lowest mintage coin. "000001" represents my sequential member number. What about this? EPCC18-000001-55.5555 I'm not sure, maybe we need to give it more thought. You have any other ideas for how to represent points?

Offline badon

« Reply #13 on: 2016 Apr 06, 01:34:12 AM »
I just made forums for GRANTED and DENIED membership requests.

It might be premature to use those categories, because it makes the forum seem empty when it is not, so I think I will hide them for now, and then bring them back out when we need to organize a lot of topics better.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #14 on: 2016 Apr 06, 01:57:09 AM »
That makes a lot of sense and I like the way you have it laid out. What would be great and would help promote the club within the forum would be if there were a way to associate a members club status along with their avatar. I'm not sure how hard this would be to do and maybe a bit premature, but it would be great for members to be able to promote their status within the forum that way. This would also play like a little advertisement for the club as well. If this were something possible, at the end of each moth a new tally would have to be taken to update their status in order to keep track of their score. Also, it might be best to round up or down numbers for points to keep it simplified for viewers. So in your case your score would go from a 55.5555 to a 56. Your tally would be added up at the end of the month based on actual figures (55.5555), but when your score is attributed to your profile it would either be round up or down to keep the digits to a minimum.

Here's something else I just thought of - If we want to keep from having to do the rounding up or down as much and simplify things for members, once we have a good "checklist" of qualifying pandas for the club we could simply attribute a rounded score to each coin and have that list posted, maybe along with a dedicated rules page and the formula for how we attribute a score so there wouldn't be any questions as to how much a particular coin is worth. A 2013 brass panda 1st panda expo score would go from a 55.5555 to a 56 and a 15g Baby Panda would go from a .49 to a .50. This would eliminate a lot of the math for members, keep it streamlined and reduce questions and any possible confusion.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #15 on: 2016 Apr 06, 01:57:40 AM »
It might be premature to use those categories, because it makes the forum seem empty when it is not, so I think I will hide them for now, and then bring them back out when we need to organize a lot of topics better.

Understood.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #16 on: 2016 Apr 06, 03:15:01 AM »
Another note regarding points: It might be best to attribute points only to owners of a coin and not members only taking pictures of the coin, giving those who actually own the coins a bit of an upper tier status. Ownership of some of these coins is extremely difficult, while going to a coin show and snapping a picture of a rare coin, though not something everyone can do, is still not quite as equal to owning the coin in my opinion. Also, there will be members who will argue over whether or not someone who doesn't own the coin should be allowed membership at all. This would be a good way of killing that argument. Additionally, this builds more value in ownership and plants the club firmly with the celebration of true collectors and the collector spirit and in turn promotes actual collecting ownership, purchasing of the coins and maybe even tiny boosts in sales and the value of the coins somewhere down the line.

COA's:

As far as COA's go this is a tough one. If COA's are required some people wont want to show COA's if they should ever decide to sell them one day and want to remain anonymous. This might discourage participation. I figure if someone wants to cheat they will figure out a way to cheat one way or another and those who really want to PROVE they own it will probably show their COA's anyway. Maybe this one should be "test ran" as not necessary but encouraged first before anything is implemented.

Offline badon

« Reply #17 on: 2016 Apr 06, 08:52:10 PM »
That makes a lot of sense and I like the way you have it laid out. What would be great and would help promote the club within the forum would be if there were a way to associate a members club status along with their avatar. I'm not sure how hard this would be to do and maybe a bit premature, but it would be great for members to be able to promote their status within the forum that way. This would also play like a little advertisement for the club as well.

I originally dismissed this idea from the beginning because I was afraid of the extra work, with no benefits I could think of at the time. However, your idea of assigning a points score to members who might have multiple coins just made this worth investigating seriously. It turns out it is possible to make this work, and we can put a huge impressive banner in people's forum signatures to show off their score, or something smaller and low-key if they prefer. This is a great idea that makes the club a lot more fun! I can automate most of it, I hope, so it won't take too much time. I'm not sure what the banner should look like though, maybe you have more ideas? It will go in the forum signature, so you have more space to play with than you would with just an avatar image.

Offline badon

« Reply #18 on: 2016 Apr 06, 09:25:22 PM »
Another note regarding points: It might be best to attribute points only to owners of a coin and not members only taking pictures of the coin, giving those who actually own the coins a bit of an upper tier status. Ownership of some of these coins is extremely difficult, while going to a coin show and snapping a picture of a rare coin, though not something everyone can do, is still not quite as equal to owning the coin in my opinion. Also, there will be members who will argue over whether or not someone who doesn't own the coin should be allowed membership at all. This would be a good way of killing that argument. Additionally, this builds more value in ownership and plants the club firmly with the celebration of true collectors and the collector spirit and in turn promotes actual collecting ownership, purchasing of the coins and maybe even tiny boosts in sales and the value of the coins somewhere down the line.

COA's:

As far as COA's go this is a tough one. If COA's are required some people wont want to show COA's if they should ever decide to sell them one day and want to remain anonymous. This might discourage participation. I figure if someone wants to cheat they will figure out a way to cheat one way or another and those who really want to PROVE they own it will probably show their COA's anyway. Maybe this one should be "test ran" as not necessary but encouraged first before anything is implemented.

Most people do not realize how much privacy they need to be safe for themselves and their families. Allowing people membership in the club just for "shooting" a panda in a photo is a great way to give everyone deniability. Firstly, if someone who does not own a coin asks for permission to photograph a rare coin, the immediate first question from the owner is "Why?". That's word-of-mouth advertising for our club. The benefits of letting people "hunt" pandas in the wild, even if they don't technically own them, greatly outweighs the prestige that might be gained in discriminating against them. For people who really want to insist that only true owners be allowed to join the club, they can simply say "no" every time they're asked to permit a photographing it for membership. You see how this works?

If the coins are rare enough, then saying "no" to photos doesn't leave many options for those who don't actually own it. While at the same time dealers who DO own it suddenly have a way they can benefit from ownership WITHOUT selling their favorite coins. It's free marketing and online "buzz" for the dealer. It might be good enough to persuade the dealer to NEVER sell the best coins, because he knows owning the coin will bring people to his shop and his tables at coin shows...and not just any people - it's all people who are interested in owning the rarest pandas, which the dealer happens to have available for sale! Really, everybody wins with this plan.

The "elitist" can be as snooty as he wants about the issue of "owned" versus "borrowed", but only if he can afford to buy coins other people can't get access to. For those kinds of coins, the few specimens that are made available for a photography moment will be easily identifiable as DealerXYZ's coin, since the dealer's whole motivation is to milk the free advertising as much as possible. Why not insist the photo note thing include one of his business cards too? Nobody "hunting" pandas would say "no" to the dealer because the hunter is asking a big favor ("let me borrow your coin for 30 seconds"), while the dealer is asking a small favor ("your photos must show my business card, and you can't block the certification number").

Ultimately, our goal here is share our enjoyment and excitement about the world's rarest pandas (shiny ones, not furry ones). Allow the entire world to participate equally with the best of us absolutely achieves our fundamental goal better than anything else we have come up with so far. For myself, I like having the ability to deny I ever owned the coin in my photograph. I suppose letting people photograph it would enhance my privacy if lots of people are "hunting" and "bagging" my coins. If I was serious about competing for the top scores with my collection, I would just stop letting people photograph it. Which do I want more? Fame and glory, or privacy? The way we have this planned out so far gives everyone the power to choose exactly what they want, in any degree that suits them. It's elegant.

The example I gave about the COA's was just me being silly with an extreme, ridiculous example. I doubt COA's will ever play any important role in a club for coins. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with another good idea that makes use of them, like giving bonus points for proving you own both the coin and the COA...hey that was my idea, but I know you were thinking it too :)

Offline badon

« Reply #19 on: 2016 Apr 07, 01:54:24 AM »
As I give this subject further thought, it might be OK to give members the option of explicitly claiming they do own, and continue to own, the coins in the photos they have submitted. It could also be optional if they want to prove it or not. Then, most people would just submit their photos and be done with it, but some people can go further if they want to. Assembling a famous set is one goal of some of the world's top collectors, so we could do this only in cases of multiple coins. Instead of proving ownership of 1 coin, they could photograph the whole set with their note.

Each time they claim they have added a coin to their set, they could photo the whole set again. Seeing them all together in 1 photo, repeatedly, is pretty convincing that they own the entire set. But, once again, deniability is there. Top collections could be exhibited at a coin show, together, and that would be a perfect photo opportunity - but if they pull that off, I'm OK with them lying to me about owning each coin. Assembling it at all is worthy of recognition by itself.

Offline badon

« Reply #20 on: 2016 Apr 07, 02:13:28 AM »
I just used the EPCC points system to compare the investment potential of 2 different coins, here: Re: MCC LIST #183, move from LBC and continuation here at the CC forum. The idea of a points system was very smart. My forehead is bright pink from all the forehead slapping. Why didn't I think of a points system? It seems so obvious now, haha.

Offline badon

« Reply #21 on: 2016 Apr 07, 02:54:36 PM »
Another question - Lets say someone has more than one of one coin. Should they post an image of only one and move on to the next? Or should they post an image of all of what they have and/or individual posts of each as they are acquired? Would having more give them more "points"?

Fantastic idea! A points system is the next logical step after assembling a list of rare pandas that can earn qualification for EPCC membership. I just ran some numbers, and the easiest way to assign points might be to use this formula:

1 / mintage X 1000 = POINTS

1 / 18 X 1000 = 55.5555 points

1 / 2014 X 1000 = 0.4965 points

That means you would need 112 of the 2014 15 g silver baby pandas to match the points I get from just one 2013 brass panda expo. At $60 each, that means you would have to spend $6720 on 15 g baby pandas to match the 2013 brass panda expo that costs $5888 on ebay right now: 161996917844 (with Best Offer option). If the 15 g baby pandas go up to $100 each (I believe they will in the next year or two), then you would have to spend $11'200 on them to match the 2013 brass panda expo. Although some people might opt to get their points from 15 g baby pandas when they're only $60, after they go up in value, there would be motivation to sell them and buy something rarer that costs less for the same amount of points.

Does that make sense?

Since we require an obverse and reverse photo for every coin, I guess the only way to prove you had possession of 112 of them would be to photograph the obverse of all 112 at the same time, then flip them over and photograph the reverse for all 112 of them at the same time, and/or the COA's with different COA numbers to prove it's not a Photoshop job. Then, the members might vote and say "the resolution isn't high enough to prove they're real. Now, photograph them individually next to their COA to satisfy my whims". Maybe somebody with that kind of money will have the patience to jump through the hoops like that, but I think I'll just stick to my 2013 brass panda expo :)

In any case, a points system is a FANTASTIC way to keep the ball rolling, and not rest on your laurels after you gain membership. There will always be competition for higher points. How should we represent points in the member number? "EPCC18" represents my lowest mintage coin. "000001" represents my sequential member number. What about this? EPCC18-000001-55.5555 I'm not sure, maybe we need to give it more thought. You have any other ideas for how to represent points?

That makes a lot of sense and I like the way you have it laid out. What would be great and would help promote the club within the forum would be if there were a way to associate a members club status along with their avatar. I'm not sure how hard this would be to do and maybe a bit premature, but it would be great for members to be able to promote their status within the forum that way. This would also play like a little advertisement for the club as well. If this were something possible, at the end of each moth a new tally would have to be taken to update their status in order to keep track of their score. Also, it might be best to round up or down numbers for points to keep it simplified for viewers. So in your case your score would go from a 55.5555 to a 56. Your tally would be added up at the end of the month based on actual figures (55.5555), but when your score is attributed to your profile it would either be round up or down to keep the digits to a minimum.

Here's something else I just thought of - If we want to keep from having to do the rounding up or down as much and simplify things for members, once we have a good "checklist" of qualifying pandas for the club we could simply attribute a rounded score to each coin and have that list posted, maybe along with a dedicated rules page and the formula for how we attribute a score so there wouldn't be any questions as to how much a particular coin is worth. A 2013 brass panda 1st panda expo score would go from a 55.5555 to a 56 and a 15g Baby Panda would go from a .49 to a .50. This would eliminate a lot of the math for members, keep it streamlined and reduce questions and any possible confusion.

Here are the calculations using 10'000 instead of 1'000, to get rid of all the excessive decimals, with this formula:

1 / mintage X 10000 = POINTS

1 / 18 X 10000 = 555.56 points

1 / 2014 X 10000 = 4.97 points

This formula means a coin with a mintage of 10'000 has the baseline value of exactly 1.0:

1 / 10000 X 10000 = 1.0 points

A 1982 1 oz platinum panda with a mintage of 5 would have this formula:

1 / 5 X 10000 = 2000.0 points

Since the 1982 1 oz platinum panda is is the rarest panda coin I can think of at the moment, 2000 is highest number of points possible for a single coin. That means I would need to buy 4 of the 2013 brass panda expos to beat someone with a single 1982 platinum panda. This implies prices ought to be higher for the 2013 brass panda, if rarity were the only factor that mattered. This new formula puts the minimum number of points at just barely under 5.0 for the 2014 15 g silver baby panda. That's nice, because now decimals aren't really needed for scoring the coin that most people will probably be able to own. Likewise, decimals probably aren't necessary for meaningful comparisons with rarer coins.

Offline badon

« Reply #22 on: 2016 Apr 07, 05:05:43 PM »

Dealing with multiple specimens of the same coin type is probably more trouble than it's worth. Requiring each of the coins to be different somehow would help us achieve the CC's goal of researching and recording new types. If someone can convince us there is something different about multiples of the same coin, and can convince us the differences are worth our attention, then we could accept multiples. For example, identifying different dies might be judged as excellent research, and worthy of awarding points. Maybe we could accept a multi-grade set, where everything is the same except the grade, if the photos and documentation are good enough to help someone learn how to grade that particular coin type.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #23 on: 2016 Apr 07, 07:32:03 PM »
I'm looking to submit my first coin. Do I submit it in response to your submission? If I try to submit using "start new topic" I get an error code.

Offline badon

« Reply #24 on: 2016 Apr 07, 09:34:56 PM »
What is the error you get? If you can post the exact text and/or a screenshot, that will help diagnose the problem. You can try submitting it in response to mine, and I'll just split it out and organize things like I usually do.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #25 on: 2016 Apr 07, 09:43:35 PM »
I'll do that.

Here's a snapshot of the error message:

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #26 on: 2016 Apr 07, 09:47:11 PM »
Maybe there is a problem with one of the pictures I am attaching.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #27 on: 2016 Apr 07, 09:51:22 PM »
One of the images was cropped. Maybe that's the problem.

Offline badon

« Reply #28 on: 2016 Apr 07, 10:09:02 PM »
This is a "feature" that nobody likes: Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. I'm already trying to resolve it with the SMF forum people. The problem is that some image software adds extra data to the image file that triggers security checks. The easiest way to get around it to use a different version of your image. So, your full-quality uncropped image might work. If it doesn't, try using BatchPurifier:

http://www.digitalconfidence.com/batchpurifier.html

... to remove metadata from the image, and then upload that version instead, with no loss of quality. You can also choose an alternative to those, but BatchPurifier is my favorite:

http://alternativeto.net/software/batchpurifier-lite/

If the above doesn't work, try opening it in different image software, and resave it using between 70% and 90% JPEG compression, and that will eventually work if you keep changing the image software you use. Doing this will reduce the image quality, though...unless it's lossless PNG format, but then the file will be huge and might not upload.

If all else fails, just upload it to your favorite image host, like this site:

http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/upload/

Then, give me the URL and I'll take care of it from there.

Offline AbeLinkin

« Reply #29 on: 2016 Apr 07, 10:53:30 PM »
Cleaned and resized to 85% worked. Not sure why this has started all of a sudden. I did just do a major update on my computer. It's possible something changed with images in the update.

Offline badon

« Reply #30 on: 2016 Apr 11, 02:25:23 AM »
I just talked to dragonzeng168 about the possibility of him making notes and photos for people who want to "bag" some of the rarest pandas in his inventory. All he would have to do is make the notes and the photos, and he can put his email or whatever in the photos too, so when they get posted, it's free advertising for him. He has one of the 2013 brass 1st panda expo coins in his inventory, so it might be worthwhile to ask him about making the photos. This club has the potential to put momentum behind the rare coins, which is a good thing for the market.

Offline Formidable

« Reply #31 on: 2016 Apr 13, 01:20:55 AM »
Here are the calculations using 10'000 instead of 1'000, to get rid of all the excessive decimals, with this formula:

1 / mintage X 10000 = POINTS

1 / 18 X 10000 = 555.56 points

1 / 2014 X 10000 = 4.97 points

This formula means a coin with a mintage of 10'000 has the baseline value of exactly 1.0:

1 / 10000 X 10000 = 1.0 points

A 1982 1 oz platinum panda with a mintage of 5 would have this formula:

1 / 5 X 10000 = 2000.0 points

Since the 1982 1 oz platinum panda is is the rarest panda coin I can think of at the moment, 2000 is highest number of points possible for a single coin. That means I would need to buy 4 of the 2013 brass panda expos to beat someone with a single 1982 platinum panda. This implies prices ought to be higher for the 2013 brass panda, if rarity were the only factor that mattered. This new formula puts the minimum number of points at just barely under 5.0 for the 2014 15 g silver baby panda. That's nice, because now decimals aren't really needed for scoring the coin that most people will probably be able to own. Likewise, decimals probably aren't necessary for meaningful comparisons with rarer coins.

How do you plan to assign points? Do members make the same EPCC posts, but with different coins?

Offline badon

« Reply #32 on: 2016 Apr 13, 02:20:47 AM »
That's a good question. I'm doing some experiments right now, but I'm open to any ideas you or anyone else wants to share.

Offline badon

« Reply #33 on: 2016 Apr 22, 01:29:08 PM »
I have been working on a way to automatically keep track of everything, including total scores. I have already reconfigured the forum to support an Elite Panda Coin Club profile field that can only be edited by administrators. So far I have been experimenting on myself and @AbeLinkin, and it works well enough that I think it's ready to be automated. Then, I'll only need to add the membership number to a person's profile, and the rest will be done automatically. That's the plan, anyway. I have had that much of it done for 2 or 3 days now, but I didn't have time to make a post about until I did a 3 day non-stop "get everything important done" sprint.

Offline badon

« Reply #34 on: 2016 Apr 28, 03:38:15 AM »
I think I have figured out the best way to differentiate owners from non-owners. We can call the owners "hunters", and the non-owners "poachers". Nobody needs to say whether they're a hunter or a poacher, so everyone keeps their privacy and deniability (being able to claim you don't own the coins when you really do). Both hunters and poachers are completely equal with each other for getting membership, and ranking with the lowest mintage number. For example, I'm an EPCC18 because my membership was earned with a coin that had a mintage of 18, and anyone who can get a photo of a coin like that will also be an EPCC18 like me, so we would rank exactly the same. It doesn't matter if the coins are actually owned or not. Don't ask, don't tell...

The way we can differentiate hunters from poachers is when we do points scoring. Everyone can have the points from the coin(s) that earned them membership and/or their lowest mintage number, so poachers can still participate. But, if we only add together points when all of the coins are together in the same obverse and reverse photos with the usual photo note, then hunters (owners) will have a huge advantage over poachers (non-owners), because the hunters can conveniently group together the coins they own for making photo-notes. Poachers could still do the same thing, but the difficulty is increased enough to give them an appropriate disadvantage compared to the hunters who actually own the coins. Either way, privacy and deniability is still preserved!

We don't want to discourage poachers from continuing to hunt for the rarest pandas, so we can still allow poachers to accumulate more and more "poacher points" from each of their separately posted photo notes. Poacher points could be added together, but they would not be comparable to "hunter points". Hunter points can only be earned in a single pair of obverse/reverse photo-notes (with supplementary close-ups if there are too many to get a clear image of each in a single photo). The end result is EVERY member can earn BOTH hunter points and poacher points. Your hunter points are from your biggest grouping of coins, with nothing added, while your poacher points are added up from all of your photo notes combined, even if the coins aren't grouped together.

The end result is poacher points are only compared and ranked next to other poacher points, and hunter points are only compared and ranked next to other hunter points. Since everyone can have both poacher and hunter points, it allows everyone to participate at all times, no matter whether you're a super rich veteran, or just a beginner. Beginners and veterans will still be able to compete against each other, so I'm hoping this method of counting points will encourage everyone to participate and have fun searching for the next goal to achieve.

It might actually enhance privacy and deniability too, because hunters can easily persuade other hunters to make photo-notes for each other, for some easy poacher points. It doesn't matter who makes the photo-notes as long as they say "Elite Panda Coin Club" with the person's forum username in the note, like usual. Easy! I think this will encourage people to talk about the coins, and keep people friendly and social with the other members of the club.

To preserve privacy and deniability, it might be wise to encourage people to make "poacher deals" privately, which makes perfect sense, because, uh, it's poaching!
« Last Edit: 2016 Apr 28, 03:59:52 AM by badon »

Offline Formidable

« Reply #35 on: 2016 Apr 28, 04:02:45 AM »
Does that mean I can be an EPCC18 like you if you make a note for me? Sign me up!

Offline badon

« Reply #36 on: 2016 Apr 28, 04:10:17 AM »
In theory, yes. However, I like being the only EPCC18, so no, I'm not going to make a note for you. Call me "elitist" if you want, but this IS the ELITE Panda Coin Club :P Maybe if you have one of the 5 specimens of the 1982 1 oz platinum panda, we could work out a deal. I would love to be an EPCC5 :) Now that I'm thinking about it, being a little "elitist" might mean poaching is mostly done among people with the same EPCC mintage number rank. The life of a "poacher" is never easy, haha!

Online Jens

« Reply #37 on: 2016 Apr 28, 05:16:07 AM »
I like your ideas so far, the formula with calculations using 10'000 sounds good and the possibility of deniability is also good for security reasons as you stated earlier (although i personally store my valuable stuff off-site).
So as far as i'm concerned hunters and poachers with the new formula is all i need.
I'm not sure if we should bring grade rarity into the formula, it might make the whole thing too complicated. Also, there are coins which usually get good grades and there are some where only very few get good grades.
So if we where to just bring MS 68/69/70 into the formula it wouldn't be completely correct. But if we want to differentiate further i think the whole process would become very tiresome and take up too much of your time.

"You have to choose (as a voter) between trusting to the natural stability of gold and the natural stability of the honesty and intelligence of the members of the Government.
And, with due respect for these gentlemen, I advise you, as long as the Capitalist system lasts, to vote for gold."   - George Bernard Shaw -

Offline Ufury

« Reply #38 on: 2016 Apr 28, 05:20:21 AM »
Badon was like "I say, poaching is kewl my good sir"
        ┌─┐
        ┴─┴
        ಠ_ರೃ

And Formidable was like "lemme poach ur coinz"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And Badon was like "no, cuz, ELITE"

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

And Formidable was like "brah, how can u do dis 2 ur brah?"

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

And Badon was like "cuz b'cuz"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And Formidable was like very sad

(͡๏̯͡๏)

And then Formibadle was like very mad and flipping the table

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

And Badon was like "ur cleaning that"

ಠ_ಠ

And Formidable was like more mad and flipping all the tables

┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

And Badon was worrying like "wtf"

⊙﹏⊙

And then Badon was like "chillax and lets b frens"

⊂(◉‿◉)つ

And Formidable was like "ur rite, i clean da tables"

┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

And Badon was like "wise brah"

{o,o}
        |)__)
        -"-"-
  • I am U Fury in carnate

Offline badon

« Reply #39 on: 2016 Apr 28, 08:51:01 PM »
HAHA, I laughed when I read that Ufury. You always have something funny up your sleeve, and by that I mean hotdogs :)

Offline badon

« Reply #40 on: 2016 Apr 28, 08:52:07 PM »
I like your ideas so far, the formula with calculations using 10'000 sounds good and the possibility of deniability is also good for security reasons as you stated earlier (although i personally store my valuable stuff off-site).
So as far as i'm concerned hunters and poachers with the new formula is all i need.
I'm not sure if we should bring grade rarity into the formula, it might make the whole thing too complicated. Also, there are coins which usually get good grades and there are some where only very few get good grades.
So if we where to just bring MS 68/69/70 into the formula it wouldn't be completely correct. But if we want to differentiate further i think the whole process would become very tiresome and take up too much of your time.

OK, thanks for your input. I agree with you, it's probably best to not include grade rarity. Maybe in the future.

Offline badon

« Reply #41 on: 2016 May 08, 09:20:14 AM »
I just calculated points and put a points ranking here: Re: EPCC Jens 2015 2 oz silver Lunar Panda Goat (299) + matte antique (99). Something interesting that I did not expect is an unusual motivation for people to gain points. Since I have a nice lead at the #1 points score, I can be lazy.

If people want to see photos of my magnificent collection, the way to force me to post them is to try to beat my points! Since it's not required to own the coins, in theory it's possible for "the little people" to gang up on me at a coin show or something, and make impressive photos for everyone who puts their coins in together for a group photo. Everyone can slip their own note in for a photo, so everyone who contributes gets the points. This might make some interesting social dynamics...Just don't forget which ones are NOT yours when you take your coins back, or the social dynamics could turn sour!

Offline badon

« Reply #42 on: 2016 May 09, 08:25:25 PM »
More details about earning points:

I think I have figured out the best way to differentiate owners from non-owners. We can call the owners "hunters", and the non-owners "poachers". Nobody needs to say whether they're a hunter or a poacher, so everyone keeps their privacy and deniability (being able to claim you don't own the coins when you really do). Both hunters and poachers are completely equal with each other for getting membership, and ranking with the lowest mintage number. For example, I'm an EPCC18 because my membership was earned with a coin that had a mintage of 18, and anyone who can get a photo of a coin like that will also be an EPCC18 like me, so we would rank exactly the same. It doesn't matter if the coins are actually owned or not. Don't ask, don't tell...

The way we can differentiate hunters from poachers is when we do points scoring. Everyone can have the points from the coin(s) that earned them membership and/or their lowest mintage number, so poachers can still participate. But, if we only add together points when all of the coins are together in the same obverse and reverse photos with the usual photo note, then hunters (owners) will have a huge advantage over poachers (non-owners), because the hunters can conveniently group together the coins they own for making photo-notes. Poachers could still do the same thing, but the difficulty is increased enough to give them an appropriate disadvantage compared to the hunters who actually own the coins. Either way, privacy and deniability is still preserved!

We don't want to discourage poachers from continuing to hunt for the rarest pandas, so we can still allow poachers to accumulate more and more "poacher points" from each of their separately posted photo notes. Poacher points could be added together, but they would not be comparable to "hunter points". Hunter points can only be earned in a single pair of obverse/reverse photo-notes (with supplementary close-ups if there are too many to get a clear image of each in a single photo). The end result is EVERY member can earn BOTH hunter points and poacher points. Your hunter points are from your biggest grouping of coins, with nothing added, while your poacher points are added up from all of your photo notes combined, even if the coins aren't grouped together.

The end result is poacher points are only compared and ranked next to other poacher points, and hunter points are only compared and ranked next to other hunter points. Since everyone can have both poacher and hunter points, it allows everyone to participate at all times, no matter whether you're a super rich veteran, or just a beginner. Beginners and veterans will still be able to compete against each other, so I'm hoping this method of counting points will encourage everyone to participate and have fun searching for the next goal to achieve.

It might actually enhance privacy and deniability too, because hunters can easily persuade other hunters to make photo-notes for each other, for some easy poacher points. It doesn't matter who makes the photo-notes as long as they say "Elite Panda Coin Club" with the person's forum username in the note, like usual. Easy! I think this will encourage people to talk about the coins, and keep people friendly and social with the other members of the club.

To preserve privacy and deniability, it might be wise to encourage people to make "poacher deals" privately, which makes perfect sense, because, uh, it's poaching!

I posted my ideas on the subject here: Re: Rare panda club ideas. The ultra-short version is, to increase your points score you need to photo all of the coins you want points for, together in the same photo. So, if Jens wanted to add a 3rd coin to his points score, he would need to photo the 2 he already has TOGETHER with the new 3rd coin. That makes it more difficult for people who do not own the coins to claim points for them, although it is still allowed to gain points that way.

Note that it is not strictly required for subsequent "points photos" to include all the coins from previous photos. If you make a photo with an entirely new batch of coins, you will get points only from that new batch of coins, and those points will NOT be added to points already earned (your new points will replace your old points). If your new photo batch is worth fewer points than you have already earned, then you have wasted your time making photos of them, because your points will not change. So, make sure your new photo either includes all coins from previous photos, OR it's worth more points than you already have. Also, your "rarity score" (EPCC99 in your case) will not change unless you post something rarer.

Offline badon

« Reply #43 on: 2016 May 17, 12:51:10 AM »
I created a topic to keep track of rankings:

So far, the rarity ranking and collection points ranking are exactly the same: EPCC: Coin rarity ranking (quality) and collection points ranking (quantity). That implies our current simple way of counting points for coins is working. Next, I would want to know how much it costs to earn a particular rarity rank and points rank. For example, my question is, did numistacker spend more money for his points with 7 coins (quantity), versus my points with only 1 coin (quality)? I'm guessing that as the market matures, more coins (quantity) will be the cheapest way to gain points. The nice thing is we are evolving a system that gives people diverse ways to both gain membership in the club, and compete for status within the club. This is a lot of fun!

Right now, I'm working on writing up a convenient list of rules or guidelines for the club, so we won't need to refer back to this old topic from when the club was still in the "ideas" phase.

Offline Formidable

« Reply #44 on: 2016 Oct 12, 10:08:43 PM »
badon, you need to start promoting the EPCC so I will have something entertaining to watch. When was the last time you inducted a new member?

The following users thanked this post: badon, Ufury

Offline badon

« Reply #45 on: 2016 Oct 22, 02:11:37 AM »
You are right! Thanks for reminding me. I'll get to it!

Offline Formidable

« Reply #46 on: 2016 Oct 27, 02:40:50 PM »
Any time you're ready...

The following users thanked this post: Ufury