Author Topic: 2016 Classical Gardens Lingering Garden Liu Yuan mintages photos etc  (Read 4279 times)

Offline badon

* https://www.google.com/search?q=liu+yuan+garden
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingering_Garden

* 2016 2 oz silver Lingering Garden Liu Yuan cameo, mintage 500.
* 2016 2 oz silver Lingering Garden Liu Yuan reverse cameo, mintage 500.
* 2016 2 oz silver Lingering Garden Liu Yuan matte antiqued, mintage 399. 
* 2016 100 g gold Lingering Garden Liu Yuan, mintage 10.
* 2016 brass Lingering Garden Liu Yuan, mintage 500.
* 2016 brass Lingering Garden Liu Yuan matte antiqued, mintage 188.
* (?) 2016 copper Lingering Garden Liu Yuan, mintage ?
* (?) 2016 copper Lingering Garden Liu Yuan matte antiqued mintage ?

The copper version has been mentioned, but it's not certain yet if a copper version will be produced.

Offline badon

More photos...

Offline badon

More photos...

Offline badon

Found another interesting image that appears to be one of the early design proposals for the Liu Yuan coin.

Offline badon

Offline badon

According to the Classical Gardens QQ group in China, these coins will start to become available this week. I will be watching ebay for them!

小李飞刀团长—(1602999401)
刚刚收到消息
咱们的留園,下午开会时,会确定几号提货
我估计,本周一定可以提供了
提货了

Offline badon

This was such excellent information AbeLinkin found, I decided to split it into its own topic to make it easier to find: Scholar stones. Quote of the post that started the discussion below, for convenience:

I can't wait. I will definitely be purchasing these once they are released.

I've been researching Scholar's stones lately since coming across these images. If you've never taken the time to look into them they are truly amazing. Some of these rocks can appear to be otherworldly or even alien-like in nature.

A scholar's stones noteworthy attributes are classified into four "important qualities": thinness (shou), openness (tou), perforations (lou), and wrinkling (zhou). Once you've got a good grasp of these four qualities, when viewing the stones, the art form of a scholar's stone begins to come into focus and the true brilliance and beauty of a stone begins to reveal itself to you. After these four important qualities other more rare attributes can classify a scholar's stone as being prized above others. Some of these attributes can be: awkward or overhanging asymmetry, resonance or ringing when struck, representation or resemblance to mountainous landscapes or figure, texture, moistness or glossy surface.

This is what I love about coin collecting. It's an education and an adventure every step of the way. Learning about these is a perfect example:

Offline badon

More photos of the actual coins are now available. The lighter colored yellow ones are probably brass, and the darker colored yellow ones are probably gold. The tourist photos of the bridge appear to be showing the plum flower blossoms on the trees in late winter or early spring, right in front of the bridge.
« Last Edit: 2016 Mar 21, 04:01:48 AM by badon »

Offline badon

A few pages from the new COA. I noticed numerous errors. The English text says:

This is to certify that the Lingering Garden (Liu Yuan) medals are
from the Chinese Classical Garden Series are minted by Shanghai
Mint Co., Ltd. The medals measure 40mm in diameter, obverse
featuring the landscape south of the Yangtze River viewed from
behind a floral-pendant gate made of gold phoebe, while the reverse
features a corner of the garden viewed through the arch of a bridge.
The medal sets have a limited mintage of 10 gold medals weighing
100g fine gold, 1,000 silver medals (500 each for proof/reverse proof)
and 399 antique finish silver medals (both weighing 2 ounce silver),
500 brass medals (proof) and 188 brass medals (stained). Each
medal comes with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity and meets
the standard in fineness and weight.

Designers and engravers: Lu Danye, Chen Yanwen

Cai Xiaoping, Lei Ting
Design Team
Chinese Classical Garden Medals
March 2016

Offline badon

More COA photos...

Offline badon

More views of the bridge and crowds of tourists taking photos of it.

Offline badon

The bridge at night.
« Last Edit: 2016 Mar 23, 10:22:00 AM by badon »

Offline badon

The bridge up close.

Offline badon

The coins have arrived from the mint, and are now in the hands of the sponsors, and maybe some important dealers too. From there, they will go out to the regular dealers, who will send some in for grading at NGC and PCGS. We should see ungraded coins on ebay soon. You can find them with this search: Search ebay for Lingering Garden Liu Yuan coins.

Offline badon

More photos of the coins, ready for sale.

Offline badon

Offline badon

Offline badon

See also this post, for info about the COA's posted a bit earlier: Re: The benefits of being a member of this forum: Baby panda No. 0001.

Offline badon

Another early concept art image used to design the Liu Yuan, with more nice images after it.

Offline badon

More original art for the Liu Yuan, with more nice images too.

Offline badon

More photos of coins fresh from the mint.

Offline badon

Cutting out coins for sale, and pairing them with boxes and COA's. The coins, coin boxes, and coin COA's are all shipped separately. The dealer is responsible for matching them up, and selling them together to buyers.

Offline badon

Some nice pro-quality photos of each coin type. Brass, silver cameo (2 reverse photos with different lighting), and gold.

Offline badon

Silver matte antiqued obverse and reverse, brass matte antiqued obverse, copper obverse, silver reverse-cameo obverse. I'm not sure why those last 3 weren't paired with reverse photos, but they're nice images worth preserving. More images of both sides are coming next.

Offline badon

Brass, silver matte antiqued, and silver cameo.